cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs fail "not enough memory" 0x8007000e

Davide_Russo
Level 4
Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 with Backup Exec 10.0 installed. Since i have installed the SP2 of Windows Server 2003, every week the Backup Jobs fails with these message:

Not enough memory to copy Shadow Copy Components.

In original german language the message is:
OFO: Initialisierung fehlgeschlagen: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option verwendet: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
OFO: Nicht genügend Arbeitsspeicher.
I have search in Symantec and Microsoft Knowledge base but i have only found links to Hotfixes that are integrated in the SP2. Someone have any idea to resolve the issue?

The Server is a HP Proliant Xeon 3.4Ghz with 2GB RAM.

Thanks for your help!

SBK
9 REPLIES 9

Ross_Verrall
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

I am having the same problem.

My backups had been completing successfully every night until I installed SP2, now my backup fails 50% of the time with the not enough memory error.  I have looked around and this issue was first addressed by veritas in 2005: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278779.htm

They point you to a link to install Microsoft hotfixes: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887827 , which was last updated June 27th 07.
However since the error isn't quite the same I am hesitant to install any hotfixes, and the age of the veritas support doc.

Look forward to hearing if anyone has had the same problem since, and if so how they resolved it!

Thanks,

Ross

Davide_Russo
Level 4
Hi Ross,

I have requested the hotfix 887827 from Microsoft and i will try it on the server (have also an Image in the worst case).

I will post here the results in a couple of days.

Thanks for the link!

SBK

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have try to install the Hotfix about KB887827, but the SP2 is newer as the Hotfix so i can't install it.

Anyone an other idea how we can resolve the not enough memory problem under Windows Server 2003 SP2?

Dave

Davide_Russo
Level 4
Perhaps that will help to resolve the issue:

I have change the location of Static Volume location and at this moment the backup incl AOFO functionnally without the error not enough memory.

SBK

Message Edited by Davide Russo on 07-09-200711:50 PM

Ara
Level 2
Hello.

I've got the same problem on an Win 2003 Server after installing the SP2. The only way for me to resolve this issue temporarily is to reboot the server. Then the backup ends without an error for a couple of days.

This error only occurs on the Backup Exec 10.d (SP4) Server when the server trys to backup itself. Other remote servers are not affected.

I hope that someone has got a solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance

Ara

Ara
Level 2
Is there no solution fpr this problem?

Have to restart the server every day...

Ara

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have deactivated the backup of the System State, so that Advanced File Option don't bring any errors.

Alternatively i make an image of the Server every month, with Acronis True Image Server. So i can make a desaster recovery from the image and an data restore from Backup Exec.

The Symantec support has no solution for this problem or say that Microsoft is reponsable for this Error (Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy). Smiley Sad

Sorry but i have no other solution.

Dave

Davide_Russo
Level 4
It seems that i have found the solution for the VSS-Bug.

Microsoft has relaesed an brandnew Hotfix after the SP2 that resolve the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940239

I have tried the hotfix on several servers, and since a week i don't have any ran out of memory erros. I hope that won't change....

Sincerely

Dave

Ara
Level 2
Thank you for this info.

I will apply this hotfix and tell you if it works.

Ara