cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs won't use 2nd tape drive

Not applicable
I've recently installed a 2nd LTO3 drive into my Dell PV132T. My BE license has been upgraded properly. The library, OS, and BE all see the 2nd drive properly. The drive is listed as enabled. I've added the 2nd drive as an available device to all device pools. All backup jobs are set to use the device pools and not specific devices. Both drives have the same priority level. However, when mulitple backup jobs run they will still wait for the 1st drive to become available before starting rather than using the new drive. Am I missing something? Do the services/server need to be restarted after adding the device to the device pool? Do the backup jobs need to be resubmitted before they will be able to use the 2nd device?

Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

Creating and configuring drive pools in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262932

Thank You,

Shweta

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Doesn't answer his question does it?

In fact, the document you refernce says that what he is seeing IS NOT the way that BackupExec treats media pools

How about actually reading, understanding and responding to the question asked, rather than glance at the title, skim the text, and throw out a generic "how to setup xxxxx" response

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Certainly it wouldn't hurt to re-start all the backup services - just use the 'services' icon on the status bar of the console.

Trying to read between the lines of the document referred, I think what it's saying is you have to create a new pool of your own and put the desired drives into that pool.

You would then need to edit (not resubmit) the non-running backup jobs and target them to your newly created pool.

- worth a try, and unless you can say you have followed the referred doc exactly, you might not get much further