cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Year End Full Backup

Roland_Hernande
Level 3
Noob here.

We currently use 10.0 and do full backups (Fridays) and intermitten (daily but Friday).

We need to do a year end and probably will use tomorrow's full backup as the year end for 2006.

Question - Since we want to store this offsite, do I retire the media? Archive? what's the procedure for taking that last full backup, removing the tapes from library (4 of 7), replacing them and putting them in offsite storage?

I'm not clear from the Admin's Guide...thanks in advance for any help.
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

After the backup remove those tapes from the library for the offsite storage. Whereas those tapes will be still shown in Software ( Database entry )
In the BE console > Media > Move these 4 of 7 to retired media set and then delete them from there.

Later for any restores you need to first inventory and catalog these tapes !

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
And also I suggest you do a Copy backup, which does not reset the archive bit, so the incremental backups are not affected by this action.

Regards

Chris_Kitchens
Level 2
I also do full backups every year that I have to set the overwrite proctection to infinite. I would highly suggest creating a media vault that represents a logical representation of your tapes and their locations.

Roland_Hernande
Level 3
Thanks for your replies...

One question I now have is - Where would I copy the backup to?

Thanks.

Roland_Hernande
Level 3
Hi, can you please explain in more detail?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
it is one of the Job Type options in the job setup

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I wouldn't retire the media then delete it, otherwise (as stated) if you need to use it you'll have to inventory it and catalog it.
You could simply create a media set for year-end backups (with a REALLY long overwrite protection period), and add a Vault. Then make sure the year-end backup assigns the media to the new media set, then move the tapes to the vault, both in the software and in real-life.
That way you can report on what media are in the vault, and if you need to restore, then the data is in the catalog (depending upon your catalog settings),