cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup stops and it is not possible to cancel

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi,

we've got a problem to backup one of our servers.
That server is a Hyper-V master machine to provide serveral virtual machines. When the server starts to backup the first virtual machine the job stops working. It is still in progress in the joblist but nothing happens anymore - even to cancel the job is only possible by restart the BE-Services.

I allready tried many settings in the joboptions but nothing really solved the problem.
BE is Version 2010 R2 (v. 13.0 Rev 4164)
OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks and regards,
Kriss

12 REPLIES 12

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

What error gives when trying run backup, if not post the event logs 

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi,

there are no errors. The status of the job in the overview of the jobs (in German: "Auftragsüberwachung") is running ("läuft") but there is no byte added to the number of the added bytes and the rate ("Auftragsrate") is frozen by 2,00 MB/min, later by 1,00 MB/min.
If I try to cancel the job, then the current status of the job changes to canceling ("wird abgebrochen") but then nothing will change anymore. The job will stay in the canceling-status. So I have to restart the BE-services to cancel the job.
This night I recognized that we have two servers with this kind of problem. And the problem not only occurs on running hyper-v-machines. It occurs also in vhd-files that do not have any virtual machine because that are backups from a running machine.

The Eventlog has no entrys for this. During the backups are no errors by BE too.

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Service pack and windows patches?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Kriss,

Slow backup speeds for me always pointed to a hardware issue. In my case, it was an HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader, and after testing in HP LTT (which sometimes found no errors) I had the drive replaced under warranty (or sometimes from our maintenance budget!).

The problem would then go away!

What hardware are you running, and do you get the same sort of speeds if you push this backup to disk first?

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi

I don't think it is the storage loader. It is a Tandberg Storage Library T40.
We have five master Machines with round about 30 virtual machines. Two of the master machines have this issue, three don't have it.

Do you still think it is the hardware?

I will check what happens if I try to backup it to disk first.

CraigV

...master machines as in a SAN SSO scenario where you are sharing the library?
If this is the case, remove the affected media servers from the SAN SSO, and readd them...

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi,

first of all: The backup to disk fails too. It stopps at the same vhd-file as the backup to tape.

The master machines are not in a SAN and there is no SAN SSO in the options of the media server. I think there is no license for this.

The Infrastructure with the servers looks like this:
BackupServer as media server with the connected Storage Loader
Master Machine 1
Master Machine 2
Master Machine 3
Master Machine 4
Master Machine 5

Master Machine 3 and 4 have the problems. The otheres are installed the same way and does not have any problems. When I try to Update the Agents, it is shown that they are already up to date.

CraigV

...OK...can you please post the error message then?

Thanks!

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Here is the Error-Message:
There is no Error-Message! The job just shows "läuft" (="running") but no bit will backuped anymore. I can't cancel it because the the status will be "wird abgebrochen" (="will be canceled"). And than NOTHING happens anymore. Even the status will stay at "wird abgebrochen". I have to restart the services to cancel this.
Once I waited 8 hours but the job was not canceled.

Kristian_R_
Level 3

I checked out some more things. I excluded the vhd-file that cannot be backuped. Now ca. 10 GB are backuped instead of 50 MB but the backup stops at a bin-file with drivers from Dell. The filesize is ~75MB - nothing special.

To exclude every file that cannot be backued is not a solution... there is something else wrong

Kristian_R_
Level 3

It is the same problem as written at http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-exec-2010-bu-job-stops-hangs-wo-error-messages
The hotfix is allready integrated in the installed updates I think because I can't install it.

Next thing I try is the reinstall of the remoteclients and if this does not work the media server too.

Does anyone knows if I have to restart the system after the uninstall?

CraigV

Kristian, are you perhaps using AOFO, and if not, turn it on and see what happens...

Generally it is better to restart a server after an uninstall...this will effect any changes made to your system, and you won't have a possibly unstable system!