cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk Explained

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to look at setting up backup to disk jobs rather than to tape so to shortern the backup window.  Then during the day can backup the b2d folders to tape.

Sorry for my ignorance but if I want to have a full backup done nightly going to b2d do I have to have seperate folders for each job, ie Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and therefore create a seperate storage b2d folder and job for each night?

Thank you in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

What version of Backup Exec do you have?

Edited:  you don't need seperate b2d folders for each job and in Backup Exec 2012 you can only have one b2d per volume.  Just backing up all of your servers to one folder should work fine either way except it is reccommended to backup GRT jobs to a seperate folder.

see: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164267

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To ease your transition to BE 2012, just create 1 B2D folder and put everything there, including your GRT backups.

Although everything is going to this 1 B2D folder, your jobs can use different media sets to set the retention period of the media.  For disk media, there is no advantage to append to them, so always use overwrite when writing to disk media.

Then during the day can backup the b2d folders to tape.

You should not backup the B2D folders as if they are ordinary folders.  See the document below

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

You should always duplicate your backup sets.  The easiest way to do so is to have a policy with a backup template and a duplicate template.  See this document

Adding a duplicate backup template to a policy

If you are using BE 2012, then add a duplicate stage to your job to duplicate the backup sets.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

What version of Backup Exec do you have?

Edited:  you don't need seperate b2d folders for each job and in Backup Exec 2012 you can only have one b2d per volume.  Just backing up all of your servers to one folder should work fine either way except it is reccommended to backup GRT jobs to a seperate folder.

see: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164267

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To ease your transition to BE 2012, just create 1 B2D folder and put everything there, including your GRT backups.

Although everything is going to this 1 B2D folder, your jobs can use different media sets to set the retention period of the media.  For disk media, there is no advantage to append to them, so always use overwrite when writing to disk media.

Then during the day can backup the b2d folders to tape.

You should not backup the B2D folders as if they are ordinary folders.  See the document below

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

You should always duplicate your backup sets.  The easiest way to do so is to have a policy with a backup template and a duplicate template.  See this document

Adding a duplicate backup template to a policy

If you are using BE 2012, then add a duplicate stage to your job to duplicate the backup sets.

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Thanks Imosla for your comments and the link, will take a read through.

All the best

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Thx pkh for your comments also and the links, going to find a quiet room away from ringing phones to have a read through.

Kind regards

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Sorry Imosla, neglected to reply correctly, the version I am using and asking about is Backup Exec 2012 SP3

Thanks

Simon