cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk

Mike_Powell
Level 2
Is it possible to have veritas copy the files to another location without putting them in the bkf file?

Here's why
We recently purchased a hd to backup to overnight because we are going on two tapes and by the time we switch the tape in the morning, it fails because someone is already in the system by then. So what I would do is do a daily backup to HD overnight, then during the day, backup to tape from the HD. I'd rather have folder system than 70 1 gb bkf files. If there is a better way of doing this let me know

thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you run a duplicate job to copy the backupset from disk to tape, you should wind up with a single file on the tape

You can then restore directly from tape so can delete the BKF files.

Mike_Powell
Level 2
well, the original backup is off the network drives. wouldn't running a duplicate job just do the original one over again?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I beleive version 10 has the Synthetic Backup option, this sounds like the option you require.

That aside, you may be able to schedule things a bit better.
For example, we have one site where we backup user data files overnight, and then the next morning, use a second tape to backup C:, System State and the Exchange Store, that way all files in use during the day by the users are backed up at night.

The exchange store of course, can always be backed up whilst in use.

The other option is to purchase the Advanced Open File option, so you can backup the data files during the day.

The issues you may see with this involve its affect on server performance, and the reliability of the Open File Option itself, along with whether the datafiles the users have open can actually be reliably backed up this way (eg proprietry databases should not be backed up this way).

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

You can perform a duplicate backup job so that after the job is written to the tape, you can delete the backup to disk files which would no longer be required if in case you would be restoring from tape.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to "answered
questions"pool.