cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to USB drive pool

Noel_Lacayo
Level 2
Hello All,
I am currently backing up to USB drives. 8 of them to be exact.
7 connected to a USB HUB and an offsite one.

I have setup drive pools as follow
4 drives in a daily backup pool
1 drive in a weekly backup pool
1 drive in a monthly pool
and 2 drives in an offsite pool\

There are a total of 4 backup jobs. A daily, a monthly a weekly, a duplicate job which copies the weekly to an offsite drive

this config has been working great. my only problem is that i recently had to do a restore and even though the my opp times are correct, BkupExec still wants to span accross multiple drives for my daily backups.

In looking at my logs it shows that backups are taking place among 2 to 3 drives for one night. I guess this is "spanning"

How can I disable this?
I want it to write to One drive per night.
3 REPLIES 3

Noel_Lacayo
Level 2
Anyone on this?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I would guess that this is because you are using a drive pool. A drive pool is used for things where you want drives to be equal. I assume that your backup jobs are targetted to the drive pool? Try targetting your jobs to the individual drives rather than the pool. Note that I haven't tried this myself!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is/Are  your jobs defined as "Overwrite" or "Append, Else Overwrite"?

If they are defined as Overwrite only and are spanning multiple volumes, I'd say that your data has outgrown the capacity of your media.   Remember that 2:1 is more Marketing Hype than Engineering Promise.  Real world RuleOfThumb is more in the 1.2:1 - 1.3:1 range