cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk Erased My Hard Disk

Paul_Lovette
Level 3
I created a folder on a 160GB hard disk to use with BE. I had a lot of other data that is lost now!

Created the job and set it to run. Approximately five minutes later the system rebooted and the Windows does not see the drive anymore. Booting to another install of Windows and the drive is not seen but Disk Manager reports it as free space only.

What gives? Can I save this disk?
4 REPLIES 4

Paul_Lovette
Level 3
Ok, looking at the job log I see that the job ran for approximately one hour before the appairent failure occured. The error reads:

"Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled"

I've put in a new hard drive for backup purposes and currently running the re-configured backup. I told BE to not use its own drivers since this is a hard disk. I'll see how this goes.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

This error, "Physical volume library drive or robot paused, offline, or disabled" usually with an error code, "0xa0008115" could occur if the tape library is unable to initialize properly. This issue may also occur, if the robotic arm does not release the SCSI bus after any device operation.

Please follow the steps given below to help resolve the issue :

1) Re-initialize the robotic library

- Power cycle tape library and the server (reboot).

- Perform inventory of each slot separately

2) Modify registry settings:

- Change the value of following registry key to 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Adamm\Enable Robotic Library Tape Device Release

WARNING: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be
carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Note: After making this change, please recycle the Backup Exec services.

Also refer to the following technote to check SCSI configuration:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply