cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk best practices

Dannetsphere
Level 3
Partner

I am trying to setup a backup to disk to tape strategy.  So far I have been unable to find anything other than general information about how to set it up, nothing regarding the number of back to disk folders needed or a possible rotation scheme for them.  The tape rotation backup isn't a problem, I believe I have that figured out.  What I need is backup to disk information.  For example, Do I create folders for each day of the week or only one folder for each and overwrite it everyday since it is getting backed up to tape.

I am also concerned about restore time.  I don't want to have to restore a complete folder from tape just to get a few files.

I will be backing up SQL, Exchange, and files.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Some of what you are asking depends on preference more than anything.

First question is how much data do you want to keep? Not that I would recommend this at all, but on the low end of things, if you intended to keep only the last backup, you would only need only one folder because it would be simple to keep track of, and that would get overwritten daily. Obviously most companies want multiple copies so they have redundancy, and the ability to go back in time. The question becomes do you want to store it all in one folder or not?

Multiple backups can be stored in the same folder, and when you run the wizard, it actually defaults to keep 100. Restoring any of these is not really difficult since BE keeps pretty good track of when the backups were created. So if you went with this, you would not really have any problems.

That said, you could certainly create additional folders, which each show up as a different device. You could make one for each day of the week, a weekly backup, a monthly backup, or even yearly backup, depending on how much storage you have available for posterity. This requires a little more in the way of setup, and is akin to an autoloader, and I would personally have a preference to this since I like autoloaders.

Normally, I would overwrite the daily backups, so Monday would overwrite the last Monday, but I usually keep the last 4 Saturdays, then a monthly backup. Some companies certainly might keep more data if they have the storage.

As far as restoring, this is the same as tape. Although the restore resources have slightly different icons than a tape, you can restore a single file, database, or even mail item (if you are using GRT), just as you could with tape.

I suggest that you create a Backup-to-Disk folder and run a small test backup of some static data files, your Exchange, a few small SQL databases, and the system state. After that, look at the directory structure in the folder to get a feel for what it looks like. Then, although you don't have to actually run it, check out what the resources look like if you were to attempt a restore. That should tell you all you need to know.

Dannetsphere
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for the reply.  I like the idea of keeping at least a weeks worth of backups on disk, my current tape rotation follows the same type of schedule.  I will start with running some test backups.

I have 23 servers to backup and the size of the backup, providied I backup everything, is about 900gb.  The SAN device I plan on using has about 8tb of space so I will need to monitor that closely if I want to keep weekly or monthly backups on disk.

You mentioned using a wizard, which one are you referring to?

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I meant the Backup-to-Disk wizard. Right click on the "Backup-to-Disk Folders" and it is an option.

Keep in mind, that although you backup 900GB, a lot of that is probably not real data. You might create a separate selection list, especially including e-mail, for monthly jobs so you can have a bit of history. It can be helpful if someone deletes a file but waits a while to mention that it is needed, or if a virus infects a file and you need to go back, but the single biggest reason for a historical account is possible litigation.

There are even federal laws regarding being able to produce all e-mail and IMs if you are in federal litigation or even if you just have a reasonable expectancy of being in federal litigation. There may be state laws that apply too. Continuous Protection Server (CPS) is something you would want to consider if you think the laws below might apply to your company.

http://www.itworld.com/security/55954/law-requires-email-archiving