cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk--> tape

Eirik_Alim
Level 2
Hi,

Today we are taking backup directly to disk at the daytime and at night from disk to tape.

My question:

When backup is run to disk the whole backup set is created as a big *.bkf file, and then copied to tape at night, problem is that when data is earased from the disk and you want to make a restore from tape, you have to restore the whole *.bkf file to disk and from there back to origin. Is there a way to transfer the catalog to tape at backup time, such that i can chose which file to restore from the tape. Restoring the whole *.bkf takes a whole day...

Best regards Eirik
3 REPLIES 3

Phil_Bryan
Level 3
Here's how I do it except I do backup to disk at night and then make a duplicate copy of each backup job the next morning. The disks used for backup to disk are located on a SAN which the backup server is on.

Click the "Job Setup" tab and select from the left menu under "Backup Tasks" , "New Job To Duplicate Backup Sets". You can then get restores without having to restore the .bkf file.

You can also set this up using policies. I've just started using policies and so far so good.

Eirik_Alim
Level 2
Thanks a lot :)

I'm using policies now and that's working perfectly!

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards from Eirik

Chad_Kasper
Level 2
Thank you for this info. I needed this!!

Thanks,
Chad