cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot browse with Netware Agent

Bob_Winston
Level 4
Dear Support Group,

I went to do an update from Backup Exec 9.1 to 10.0 on two Netware Servers on the same Subnet and Gateway. The Netware agent on one allows you to browse as before. The other agent states “Unable to browse Netware Server, check to see that Remote Agent is running.”

Things I’ve tried:

a) Reinstalling the Agent.
b) BESTOP and BESTART both work on the Netware server that’s having problems.
c) The default port NDMP (Network Data Management Port) 10000 is open and not being used by any other services on the problem server.
d) The port range that Backup Exec can use includes this port in its range.
e) Per Veritas' site, I have configured a hex value for an ndmp_port in BESRVR.CFG. with the media server's SERVICES file changed to specify that port 12000 be used for NDMP, then the BESRVR.CFG file on the NetWare server having a line that reading: ndmp_port = 2EE0.

None of the above has worked. Again, one Netware server’s agent communicates fine. The other does not with both running the same Novell software. Any suggestions/guffaws would be most appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following steps and verify the results.

1. Stop the Remote Agent for NetWare
2. Reconfigure SMDR
3. Start the remote Agent for NetWare.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bob_Winston
Level 4
Sure thing. What is "SMDR" please?

Bob_Winston
Level 4
I found it. Document ID 193580. I will try the suggestions, thanks....

Bob_Winston
Level 4
Trying the SMDR configuration suggestions in the above document did not help. I still cannot browse the contents on the one Netware Server. Again, this happened right after the 10.0 upgrade push. No other changes were made on either system. Any more suggestions on what to try to fix this please?

Bob_Winston
Level 4
NOTE: As I have read elsewhere here, enabling the IPX/SPX will not matter as we do not use it....we only use TCP/IP. Evenso, I have enabled IPX/SPX and everything else to try and communicate with the one Netware server to no avail. :-(.....

Don_Graham_4
Level 2
try this:

I figured it out! Make sure your DNS or your hosts file on your backup server has entries to your netware servers. I had to add all my netware servers to the hosts file and I am able to connect and see the data now.

Bob_Winston
Level 4
Thanks. I've already tired this along with recreating the Novell User Object that accesses the two Netware Servers. As before, one server can be browsed....the other cannot. I still need assistance, please.

winst009@umn.edu

Bob_Winston
Level 4
The BKUPEXEC>FAX file states:
"CHECKING SERVER FILES which may need to be updated. Checking module NCSSDK.NLM for possible update. A newer version is available. One or more old or missing modules have been found. They must be updated before Backup Exec can be loaded."

I assume this means the NCSSDK.NLM module needs to be updated? I'm having our Netware guy check that now. Or, would there be other critical modules that also need to be updated? Again, which would a 9.1 Netware Agent work on both servers, then a 10.0 Agent update only work on one?

Bob_Winston
Level 4
The following fix, which I found by doing a "side-search" on the forum on the key word ADVRTMS.DAT fixed the problem.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=48266&messageID=4369922긂

3. Please check whether the file ADVRTMS.DAT is present in the SYS volume in BKUPEXEC folder if not then please do the following:

1. do a bestop
2. create above file
3. enter IP address of the media server
4. then do a bestart again

This solution was noted in other 10.0 forum postings. What was NOT explained was that you, the user, needed to CREATE this file yourself if it was not there. A typical user, reading other postings, is reluctant to create this file, thinking it should already be there with the installation.

Thanks, and have a great day! :)