cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk max file size guidance

Andrew_McHale
Level 3

Hi all.

I am running BE12 on a single media server which takes backups from 5 other Win2003 servers (inc Exchange, SQL) over a dedicated 1Gb network. The media server has a Backup-to-disk folder for every server.

I run full backups every day (because I don't trust incremental/differential) for my 4 application servers but am forced to use 1 Full + 4 Diff's on my file server because of the size of it.

My backups are about 12GB per day for my DC's, 20GB + 35GB for my Exchange & Mailboxes respectively, 45GB for my SQL and then 300GB (Full) for my File server.

I originally increased the Maximum File Size to 10GB but read in this article that if backing up over the network the default 1GB should be stuck to in order to avoid corruption (which has been the major problem we've had previously).

But 1GB file size for 300GB backups is a bit excessive.

Should I keep 1GB for all my backups (including the File server Diff backup) and make a seperate Backup-to-disk folder for the File server Full backup? If so what size should I make this particular folder?

Or should I stick with 1GB for everything? Is 300 files not unsual in a backup (there must be large corporations backing up more data than I am)?

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Andrew

1 REPLY 1

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified

You can use a bigger size as well, some thing like 2-5 GB.

With version12 .o you can use GRT , hence no need to backup exchnage mail boxes seperately. You can restore mail boxes from the IS backup.