cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to removable pocket drives

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
I am having problems setting up backup jobs to external removable firewire pocket drives. Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, in which case I would appreciate any advice.

I have 2 backup jobs, one for a server and the other for network drives. If I setup backup to folder devices for each job for each day(2 folders at root of drive), the problem is once the drive is changed to the next day, that days device gets stuck as being "offline" and will not show as being online without actually deleting the device and recreating it. So I thought I would try the removable backup to folder device but this will only allow the root of the drive, but I need subfolders, one for server backup and the other for network backup.

I am a little confused as how to make this work, seems like such a simple task but nothing seems to work right. Please advise.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

patrickkuah
Level 6
Well, i never try this before but one thing i very sure is that the backup speed will be very very slow, the bottleneck will be the speed of the firewire...

patrickMessage was edited by:
Patrick Kuah

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

What is the make of the firewire drive that you are using ?
Is is a tape drive or a hard drive ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
They are LaCie external firewire 80 GB pocket hard drives, I have one for each day of the week. Basically at 11:00pm I want the server backed up to a folder called Server, and at 4:00am I want the network shares backed up to a folder called Network. With backup-to-folder once a drive is switched the following day, it will not show as being online, even though I configured it previously. And as I stated previously the removable backup-to-folder option will not accept folders, this seems like the option I would want to use, but without having folder support I cannot use it.

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
Anyone have an answer?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you created the B2D folders, did you use standard B2D or B2D on removable Media?

When you swap the FireWire drives, do you inventory them before the job runs?

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
I was using the standard B2D because as I said earlier removable B2D does not allow subdirs, only the root drive letter for some reason.

As for inventory of drive, I cannot find an option to do that before the backup runs, and I cannot do this manually every day, this is an offsite server I maintain for a client.

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
I am hoping someone from Veritas will have a solution to this problem. I have had nothing but a nightmare getting this program to work properly. My original problem was the services just stopped working altogether, I tried to call them and they wanted me to pay for support, even though close to $1000 was just paid for their product. I ended up finding out that the services won't start if the default email client in Windows is not set to Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook has to be configured as an email client!!! For a default email program setting to make BackupExec services fail just stuns me. I'm pretty disappointed so far, please someone show me this product is worth the money! All I want is for data to be copied from one drive to another at 2 different times daily, with drives replaced daily... this should be easier!!

Thanks!

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Is this a hot swappable device? Please check the following technote.
Title:
How to use the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Hot-Swappable Device Wizard
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267405

Also please take a look at the following technotes.
Title:
How to create a Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 and configure a Backup-to-Disk job
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266377

Title:
How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
Thanks for the how-to links, but unfortunately this does not answer my question or issues at all.

Bill_Gist
Level 3
Hi Derek,

I have two thoughts. Maybe you've tried these already...

1. Look at the thread at:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=51474
that one looked like a very similar problem to the one you have, and he found a workaround to get it to work.

2. If that doesn't help enough, give up on the idea of have separate folders and use the removable B2D devices. My thinking is that while it is nice to have the separate folders, you may be O.K. without them, because when it is time to do a restore, you'll need to do an inventory and a catalog anyway, and after you've done that, you'll be able to see the resources you want to restore in the Restore pane.

I hope one of these ideas helps.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

please update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Derek_McCarthy
Level 3
Well I read the posts that Bill Gist listed, and basically the answer is that Veritas does not support removable hard drives for the same backup job. I'm extremely disappointed, I will not be recommending this product for any future clients unless this merger with Symantec makes the product much more functional and less buggy. Thanks for the info Bill Gist, I appreciate that somebody was able to tell me the answer, as much as the answer is not what I wanted to hear.