cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use quick erase with v10.0

Michael_Langloi
Level 2
We just upgraded our Backup Exec software from v8.6 to v10.0. The only thing I can't figure out is why when I insert a new tape every morning, after a backup has completed, I can't use the quick erase feature. I was always able to right-click on the drive under devices and choose quick erase.

Now, just to clarify, the quick erase, long erase, label media, everything is grayed out except for inventory and eject. I’ve looked over the support forums, and have tried some solutions others have tried that have has similar issues. None have worked.

If I start and stop the Backup Exec services (Not just closing Backup Exec) using the BE utility program, I can then perform a quick erase. I’m not happy with starting and stopping the services every morning to erase my tapes.

If I do an inventory first, then I can perform a quick erase. Again, I don’t think this is a good solution.

Backup Exec v8.6 never had this issue. I was always able to right-click on the drive under devices and choose quick erase.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Micheal,

Disable and disable the device by rightclicking on the device and then restart the backup Exec services. Run the device configuration wizard.

try performing the quick erase after having done that.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Michael_Langloi
Level 2
Thanks, but that did not correct the problem.

After a little more testing, I found that if a backup job ejects the tape, or I right-click and choose eject from the device menu, I loose the option to quick erase no matter what tape I place in the drive.

It’s like I have to manually run an inventory on each tape after Backup Exec sends an eject command to the tape drive. If I use the eject button on the drive, this does not happen.

Is there a way to have Backup Exec not require an inventory to be run before I can erase a tape? Or have Backup Exec automatically inventory the tape when inserted? The setting for automatically inventorying the tape when the services start doesn’t do the trick because the services are not stopped and started all the time.

thanks

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What tape are you using and since when does the problem occur?
Are you using Veritas device drivers? Also check for errors in the event logs.
Try to run a quick erase using a pre command. Follow the steps given below:

- Pre-command for quick erase:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT>bemcmd -o111 -d"Archive 1" -e1
- To create and use a batch file:

1. Open Notebook and create a file with the complete path:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bemcmd -o111 -d"Archive 1" -e1

2. Save as test.bat

3. Create a folder of any name and place the batch file in that folder. For example, create a folder called TEST on the C:\ drive. The complete path for the pre-command would be : c:\test\test.bat

4. Go to the Backup selection tab and in the pre/post command field insert the path

5. Run the job.

If the issue persists, revert with details on above questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.