cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to second disk attached to remote client

lp76
Level 4

Hi all,

is it possible with BackupExec 2010R2 to perform a backup directly on a second disk attached locally on a client?

Thanks

Luca

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

As per the post above please see the user guide for BESR MS & if you like it you can open a support case with symantec by calling on 18006344747 & ask for BESRMS help as backupexe won't be good solution in your case

If you think this clear your dout please mark this post as solved

Thank You

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

No directly is not possible. The data will flow from remote server to media server

and then to the device.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

If you are talking about same backup job to span on 2 different disk at same time no it is  not possible yet with backup exec

You might have to look for this feature in Netbackup

If this resolves your dout please mark this as resolved

Thank You

lp76
Level 4

If I understand correctly in order to backup to a second hard disk I need to create a backup-to-disk storage for each client? 

Thanks again

Luca

AmolB

Well you can create a single B2D folder for all the clients on the media server or on a 

remote server or may be on NAS device. It depends where you want to store the data.

lp76
Level 4

What I would achieve is to store the backup on a second hard disk mounted on each client.

Thanks

Luca

AmolB

You may create a B2D for each client on the 2nd HDD but then don't expect

good performance with the above setup as the data will be traveling over the

network from the clients to the media server and then back to the clients.

lp76
Level 4

I presume that I need to create a different job for each client? So if i have 100 client I need 100 backup jobs. Is it right?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Though backup to disk folder allow concurrent backup job to do 100 different job on single backup to disk you should have that much of bandwidth it will not be a very good practisce

Please let us know what exactly you are looking for

Thank You

lp76
Level 4

My situation is this:

each client has a second hard disk; my goal is to perform a backup directly to this second hard disk.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

so  you have only one backup softwate & you have 100 client to backup & they have second hard disk free & you want to backup there data to respective hard disk  which is 2nd

is that right

lp76
Level 4

Yes it is.

AmolB

If you have 3 clients A, B & C and if you want to take a backup to the HDD

of each client then you need to create 3 B2D folders and 3 jobs and target

them to the desired folder. 

AmolB

As per your requirement you will have to create 100 Backup to disk folders and 

100 jobs, 1 each for 100 clients. its going to be very difficult to manage.

I would suggest you to target all the jobs to 1 storage device for easily manging 

the backups and restores.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

In you case use BESR MS 2010 & deploy besr agent on all your all 100 remote client & on BSRMS server man manager server create backup policy to backup respective resources & create destination as 2nd drive of your each client computer

Those will be image files of your client which help you to recover whole server  however this will not be granular as backupexec s/w to restore flat file

As it is solution to restore whole server

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

As per the post above please see the user guide for BESR MS & if you like it you can open a support case with symantec by calling on 18006344747 & ask for BESRMS help as backupexe won't be good solution in your case

If you think this clear your dout please mark this post as solved

Thank You

lp76
Level 4

Thank you very much for all your help. I'll evaluate BESR MS solution.

Luca

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As stated above, with Windows machines this is  not possible

With Linux machines and RMAL (Remote Media Agent for Linux) this would be possible