cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup type

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

Sometimes we having a problem with our differential backup. we use BE 15 that we upgraded from BE 2010.

we did create new jobs to run a full backup of our data from different servers weekly at friday and a differential backup job for the same Full job to run every monday to thursday.

we have a larg 500 folder that the full backup backed its data and the differential job most of the time backup the changes. but once in some time the differential job backup the folder compeletly and all of its 500 GB.

I did check the property of the JOB ( that contain the FULL en differential job) and I can see the option use Archive bit is selected.

I tought maybe the property of the problematic folder has been changed by adding user to the security of the folder but there was no such action.

If we change the Using archive bit to By Modifiy time, would this solve our issue?

Why the differential backup the whole folder?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up via a share (CIFS/SMB etc) or using an actual installed remote agent?

If backing up over a share then we only support full backups - an agent installed on the host that owns the share is required for Incremental or differential backups

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037777

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
What files are included in that particular folder?

Hi Craig

Thanks as always for your,

I just give an example of one of the mapes that I see even after a full backup get backup with the diffirantial job fully backup.

as you can see the forth folder in the screenshot is 21.7 GB and is fully backup at 03/09/16. in the same day a diff backup of the same folder you can see this folder has been backup even the data of modify is still as the Full backup

backupdifference.jpg

let look at the folder image-all of the same folder in both backup sets as you can see the conteant is .log files, why in the diff backup we see the .log files that are from 2014 and 2015?

getbackup.jpg

Also as you see in the contant of one of the subfolders  ,why the log files from the year 2014 and 2015 get backup in the differantial job? none of the files except ine file in this folder has been changed since the last full backup!! so why they get backup any way??

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up via a share (CIFS/SMB etc) or using an actual installed remote agent?

If backing up over a share then we only support full backups - an agent installed on the host that owns the share is required for Incremental or differential backups

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037777