cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 10.0 & Exchange Remote Agent connection issue

swnjohnny
Level 2
Original Configuration (in Datacenter A)
- Server #1 - Win2k3 SP2 & Exch 2K3 SP1 node 1 (cluster) with BackupExec Remote Agent
- Server #2 - Win2k3 SP2 & Exch 2K3 SP1 node 2 (cluster) with BackupExec Remote Agent
- Server #3 - Windows 2003 SP2 with BackupExec 10.0

Current Configuration (in Datacenter B)
- Server #4 - Exchange 2003 SP2 node 1 (cluster) with BackupExec Remote Agent
- Server #5 - Exchange 2003 SP2 node 2 (cluster) with BackupExec Remote Agent
- Server #3 - Windows 2003 SP2 with BackupExec 10.0

BackupExec was configured and working in Datacenter A.  Since Server #1 & #2 had old hardware, Exchange was reinstalled on Server #4 & #5.  Then the Exchange Mailbox Move Wizard (and other configs) was done to migrate the Exchange environment.  Server #3 was physically moved from Datacenter A to B.  Note that the Servers in Datacenter B was last updated at the end of May 2007.

Current issue: When the BackupExec Remote Agent was reinstalled on Server #4 & #5, BackupExec on Server #3 does not display the Information Store or Mailbox/Public Folders.

Current Configuration: An account with Domain Admins (single domain) and Exchange Full Admin rights was created.  Added the account to each BackupExec Log In Locally Service on Server #3, #4 and #5. When logging into the BackupExe Managerc, the account is the default to log in.

Questions: Do I have to reinstall BackupExec and reinstall the agents because it was pointing to Server #1 and #2?  Is there a way to tell BackupExec to point the Exchange Remote Agents to Server #4 and #5?  Is this a licensing issue?

Can anyone please help?  Thank you in advance.

- Johnny

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are servers 4&5 in the same domain?
Are server 3,4 &5 on the same subnet?

As long as the Remote Agent(s) are installed, any compatible media server should be able to backup via them

If you logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you open Outlook and connect to mailboxes on the server 4/5 cluster?

swnjohnny
Level 2
First off, thank you Ken for the reply.

Servers 1 thru 5 are in the same domain.  Servers 1 thru 3 was on a 50.x network ... Servers 3 thru 5 are currently on a 55.x network.  The IP Address was changed, on Server #3, to 55.20 and Active Directory was modified to reflect the changes.

I am able to log into the service account through Outlook on my laptop (which has WinXP).  I have also sent/repied to an email to initiate the mailbox.  Would you recommend to install Outlook on the Media Server?

Thanks again!

- Johnny

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The stores should  backup without Outlook on the media server, but AFAIK, you do need it installed to backup Public Folders/Mailboxes with v10.x  

GTR (Granular Restore Technology) introduced with v11d lets you backup only the stores, and restore mailboxes/items/Public Folders from that

swnjohnny
Level 2
When the orginal Administrator setup Backup Exec on the old Exchange environment, Outlook was not installed on the Media Server.

When I go into the BEUtility, I see the following servers:
  • Server #1
  • Server #2
  • Virtual Server (from old Exchange environment)
  • Server #3

Server #1 and #2 no longer exist (it takes a while to initiate the BE Manager) so I have deleted these Media Servers.  I tried to add Server #4, Server #5 and the new virtual server (from the new Exchange environment) but the status is UNKNOWN. Should I be able to add Server #4 and #5?  If yes, how would I be able to do this?

swnjohnny
Level 2
A few other notes:
- the Exchange environment is setup with NLB Front-End and Clustered Back-End servers connected to a SAN.  My co-workered stated that Backup Exec does not backup Exchange files located on a SAN (which is the setup in Datacenter #2 while Datacenter #1 was setup on a DAS).  Does a SAN affect the setup?
- when I tried to run a backup, I explore to Server #4, Server #5 and the virtual server and it does not see the information store.  When I explore to the Exchange Front-End servers, I can see the Information Store but I get an "Access Denied" error.  I have given the proper permissions to Backup Exec.  In Datacenter #1, the backup was going through the virtual server (which is what all Symantec articles say to do).

Do you have any ideas?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Got me

You may need SSO serials for devices on a SAN.  Probably need to contact Symantec (and most likely pay to do so) Smiley Sad

Maqui
Not applicable
Hi, we have the same problem as swnjohnny and we have license to SAN Shared Storage Option.
When we install the agent in each node of cluster it only can backup files and don't see Information Storage.
We have tried to install the agent remotely and locally with the same result.

Any suggestion?

Thank you