cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 10d System State Backup Fails

Jarrod_Morrison
Level 3
Hello all

This problem is driving me insane. I have a brand new server running Server 2003 with all patches and updates, running BackupExec 10d (Media Server 10.1 rev 5629, Admin Console 10.1 rev 5629), using a HP Ultrium 2 Drive on its own scsi card. No matter what i do i cannot a successfull system state backup. I was using backup exec 10.0 with the newest patches prior to this with the same issue. However if i use MS Backup NO ISSUES ! I have read many posts on the forums and tried using the diagnostic software and the last log i generated said the reason for the failure was ("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\" is invalid), There are no file system errors when i run chkdsk so i am at a loss as to what to try seeing as though ms backup works. Everything else backups up fine. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thankyou
27 REPLIES 27

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Jarrod,

Can you search for the sfc.exe & sfc_os.dll located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\? Go to the properties of these 2 files and then copy them to your desktop.(not by remotely loging in) Does any error occur while doing the same?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jarrod_Morrison
Level 3
Copied without any issues to the desktop of the server in question

Jarrod_Morrison
Level 3
After looking back at the start of the sgmon.log i found this entry near the sfc files and am thinking it might be the cause of my issues ?

beremote: 06/04/06 22:08:08 o: c:\windows\system32\sfc.dll
beremote: 06/04/06 22:08:08 o: c:\windows\system32\sfc.exe
beremote: 06/04/06 22:08:08 o: c:\windows\system32\* /s
beremote: 06/04/06 22:08:08 o: c:\windows\system32\shimeng.dll

Any ideas ?

Scott_Dunbar
Level 3
I had this problem and I simply found that I didnt have enough space on the system drive of the machine I wished to backup. Why it needs space on the source drive is unknown to me but there you go.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Could you perhaps try reinstalling the service Pack 1 for Windows?

Thanks!

Jarrod_Morrison
Level 3
Installed SP1 again, didnt make any difference. I am now scheduling ms backup jobs for system state before the backup exec jobs and letting it just take a standard copy as i have spent to long on this problem trying to fix it. Thankyou to those that offered help

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Jarrod,

Please let us know if the earlier provided solution has helped you in resolving the issue.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

ryl0
Not applicable
and after reading Jerrod's posts here I think I will just save myself the trouble of posting here and beat my head against a wall for 48 hours straight.