cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 11d - Widely Varying Performance

MOster
Not applicable
    I'm running BackupExec 11d on Windows Server 2003 (x64) and my per-minute transfer rate varies by job from 70 to almost 700.  I can't find anything with which to correlate the phenomenon.  The server runs jobs from itself, an Exchange server/DC, and an XP box running an Avaya voicemail application.  All backups are done to SCSI-connected external LTO/2 drives and tapes.

This doesn't seem to be impacted by time of day, network load, server load, or drive cleanliness.  The only thing (that I know of) that I can't eliminate as a facotr is the amount of data currently on the tape.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
2 REPLIES 2

PC_2
Level 3
Hi Moster,

the job rate figures are seriously confusing with time to load/unload tapes and write catalogs included.
That said, there is a correlation between what is going on (systems busy/out of hours), the type of backup (full/incremental) and the type of thing backed up. Also the speeds of the various boxes running the agents and Bex. Also processing logs, etc for Exchange and SQL. Also snapshot ptocessing for AOFO.

On a W2003 64 box hosting Bex with local SAS storage and DELL PV124T 2 x 8 LTO2 autochanger with local and remote backups over a private gigabit network I get these mb/min figures.

Local disk: Full: 2,216
Remote SQL 2005 + Files: Full 1,200
Remote incremental multi-gig .bkf files: 950
Remote full multi-gb .bkf files: 1,413
Remote incremental User Profiles: 86
Remote full User Profiles: 311
10gb Exchange 2k remote PFolders 2 disk: 1,053
10gb Exchange 2k remote PFolders to tape: 2,080

Other backup and Exchange traffic uses the gigabit network.
Disk fragmentation can easily cause 30% slower backup

A second Bex server shows similar results.

10-30% slower all round in daytime

The 'hotfixes' do seem to affect speed.

Cheers,

PC

Tabula_Rasa
Level 3
Have you just loaded HotFix 14? Once we did that, our Backup to tape speed dropped to an unusable level in certain circumstances. There are many threads here regarding symptoms similar to this. We're all waiting for a resolution...