cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups refuse to run due to no contact between the servers

Exec29
Level 3

Had SEVERAL problems with the BackupExec 2012. I managed to fix most of them. The problems begun after new years:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/Backup-Exec-storage-amp-duplicate-entry-problems/m-p/825759#M...

(No need to read all of that)

A moment ago after solving out most of the problems, the servers that previously had no problem contacting Backupexec or vice versa, yet gave the following error on all backed up servers:

Calling Method 'SetServerTrust'
BEMSDK Method 'MediaServerAdvertisementUpdate'
BEMSDK Failure Code:  -536832867:X8

Ok so I run the following fixes mentioned in the article: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/Cannot-establish-trust/td-p/619592

"1.  Stop Backup Exec services on the media server.

2.  Move the certificates files from the Backup Exec DATA folder to a "SAVED" folder.   These files have a *.CRT and *.KEY file extension.  

3.  Restart the Backup Exec services.

4.  Right click the mouse on the server icons in the Backup Exec console and select "Establish Trust"  This action will re-create the security certificates on the media server in the DATA folder between the media server and remote agent.  

Backup jobs should now be able to be submitted."

I got rid of the error message but still the backup job refuces to start/work. What's weird is yesterday while one server apparently couldn't establish trust, yet it was still able to create a scheduled backup (with exceptions), then another one cannot. It start running but you can see from the traffic that nothing moves.

There have been no changes in the domain that should have any affect on BE's performance nor has NDPA port been changed on the BE server. Re-installing the agent manually would require restarting of the target machine which happens to be company's file server, so that's not really an option unless I want to work on the weekend. What to do? Or do I just have to delete evetyhing, re-install BE2012 again and would it even remove the agents from the servers? The worst part is that being from Europe means that BE16 (or an upgrade) isn't an option (apparently it's not sold outside NA). It's also rather annoying that whenever you've started a backjob to test if it works, it will not cancel unless you stop every single BE service from running, while they often get stuck which means you have to reboot the entire BE server.

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure where you got the idea that BE 16 is not available in EMEA - I have been supporting EMEA customers running it since more or less the relese date in November 2016.

I would also get off BE 2012 ASAP as a) it goes end of Support in May and b) it had a number of functional design flaws that were were generally not liked and in some cases very inefficent.

Note: check the SCL carefully before upgrading as BE 16 does not support some older technologies.

With regards your trust relationshio issues BE requires that port 6101 (which is listening on the BE server itself) is accessible from any systems running remote agents, and then the Remote Agent Utility on each remote system must be configured to publish to the Backup Exec server(s). This is of couse in addition to port 10000 being able to communicate in the other direction (BE server to listening remote server) and a range of NDMP ports for the data transfer also being able to communicate BE server to remote server

What the heck. 

I tried calling Veritas twice now (sales) but never get through. I couldn't find any direct links to where to send an email about the upgrade. Can't remember exactly where I managed to sent a message but I got replied:

"Thank you for contacting SoftwareMedia. I see that your location is outside of North America.​ The software that we sell is region specific and will not work outside of the US or Canada. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
SoftwareMedia.com
support@softwaremedia.com
800-474-1045"

Now I have no idea what softwaremedia is, but it must have been somehow linked with Veritas since I was trying to get in touch with you when sending inquiry. No one has called me nor sent an email even though I left a voice message (twice now). 

I just checked the port status and didn't find anything there. Will double check on Monday to make sure. If you can find my details could you ask your sales team to be in contact asap? We need this upgrade pretty badly and time is of the essence. Yeah I agree, I've trouble shooted in the IT for the past 5-6 years and have never encountered anything as bad as backupexec 2012.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm that looks like your e-mail query went to  tried to contact a North American Reseller who probably can't sell software outside of their own region (from any software vendor) not just us,

Maybe you should try using this page to find an EMEA reseller

http://veritas.force.com/public

Failing that you could ring the support phone number for your region and explain that you are trying to find out how to get upgrade licenses to move from an older version of Backup Exec to a current version. The support phone numbers are here (use the drop down to change countries) :

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/contact-us.html