cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 11d and multiple Network Interfaces?

cnenzel
Level 3
I have a server which is running BE11d and has two NIC's, both with IP addresses.  One NIC is configured with an IP address in the network that the SAN belongs to, the other is configured with an IP address on the production network.

I've been tasked with resolving an issue where the Backup Exec server only seems to be able to perform backups of other servers on the netwok through the SAN's IP network.  I can ping the other servers from the Backup Exec server and I receive replies from the IP address on the production network.

If I run a test job and specify the NIC which has an IP address on the public network the job fails.  The failure message follows:

Final error: 0xe0000f02 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not exist on the selected subnet. Try an alternative network interface, or allow Backup Exec to choose any available network interface.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this issue.

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-07-2008 12:58 PM

cnenzel
Level 3
Ken,

Yes I've looked. my 11d remote agents don't have the advertising tab.  Is the advertising setting somewhere else with in the 11d agents?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, gotta remember to check whick forum I'm in. 

In v11d they call it publishing  not advertizing see

cnenzel
Level 3
Thanks - in the publishing section I have the dns name of the server that BackupExec is running on.  I'll try adding the production IP of the BE server and see what happens

cnenzel
Level 3
Nope.  That didn't work either.  I removed the dns name of the BE server, added the production IP address and still cannot specify the the production NIC as the interface to use for a backup and still see the backup traffic flowing across the SAN IP address.

Perhaps I should ask this - what ports need to be open between the two devices?  Can I use telnet to test connectivity on these ports and, if so, what should I expect to see in a telnet session i fthe port is opened/closed?  I'd like to test to see if anything might be blocking traffic between the two devices...

cnenzel
Level 3
Ken,

I just wanted to reply and say I had a chance to talk with Symantec Support on this issue today.  The support tech walked me through creating a user defined selection for the server I'm trying to back up which used the IP address of the server instead of the netbios/DNS name. 

This worked - the Backup Exec server performed the backup of the network server across the production network instead of the SAN network.

The Support Technician stated that creating a user defined selection is the only way to ensure that a server with two NIC's running Backup Exec uses a particular NIC.

Hopefully this information will help others in the future.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The Support Technician stated that creating a user defined selection is the only way to ensure that a server with two NIC's running Backup Exec uses a particular NIC.

And this used to work so well when the code was written by Veritas Smiley Sad