Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12 to BackupExec 2010 R3

qubix
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I've been looking for an answer to a query I have in regards to a client with BackupExec 12 for SBS.

They are looking to upgrade their server to SBS2011, but are reluctant to renew their BE software as they say they've found this link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159557 that says BE12 can upgrade to BE2010R3.

I've explained to them that yes it can do that, but you have to buy a licence for BE2010R3, but they're having none of it and think they are smarter than me!

I can't find any info to support my claim that they have to buy a licence and that BE12 isn't a free upgrade to BE2010 R3 and wondered if someone could assist?

(I've googled everything I can think of and I still can't find an answer to the question) sad

Usually this isn't a problem and client trust what I say, but on this occasion the client is trying to penny pinch and I have to justify the expenditure.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

They need updated serial numbers

If they have a current maintenance agreement then this includes free updates so they need to contact customer care to ask for the seruial numbers

If they do not have a current maintenance agreement then they have to buy the upgrade.

AmolB

If you have a valid maintenance contract then Symantec will give you a license key for free upgrade 

from BE 12 to Be2010 R3.

EDIT: Before upgrading do make a copy of DATA & CATALOGS folder, these folders are located at

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

qubix
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Ahh well they definitely don't have one of those - so looks like they'll be having to buy a new version / upgrade.

Thanks for the advice.

AmolB

Lesta_G
Level 6

The link the client supplied is how to technically upgrade from one version to another.

But to upgrade to 2010 you need a product activation key for 2010 R3. You only have product activiation keys for BE 12

This is only available if you have a current maintenance contract with symantec for BE 12 or have purchased BE 2010

You could always tell teh customer than you can try witheh existing BE12 keys, but it is unlikely to (won't)  work.