Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12d - Cannot send email notifications

connelvalentine
Level 2
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with backupexec 12d

We've recently installed a fresh copy of backupexec 12d in our remote office on a Windows 2003 server. We've been unable to send email notifications from it. I've configured the SMTP server and recipients (myself), but even test messages don't come through.

Our exchange server is in Paris, and we don't have access to it. We are using an SMTP server in Paris as well to send email messages through.

We have a BackupExec server in our local office, but it is 11d. It is configured to the same SMTP server in Paris, with no authentication and it works fine. I've replicated the EXACT same SMTP settings in our remote office on the BackupExec 12d but no joy on the emails.
Here is another strange part - on the SAME server in our remote office, I have also installed WSUS (for Windows Updates), and configured this to send email notifications through the same SMTP server in Paris again with no authentication, and this works perfectly fine. Bottom line, I can successfully send test messages from the WSUS software, but I cannot send from BackupExec, even though on the same server.

I've gone through a lot of forums and sites, and I've done the whole telnet test from Microsoft on the problematic server. Even the telnet test went well - i recieved the email from the problem server through telnet commands.

This leads me to believe that the problem is definitely with BackupExec itself. I'm almost close to giving up trying to resolve this issue. I've also read somewhere that someone suggests installing a local SMTP service on it. But if that server passes the telnet test, and if WSUS is sending messages succesfully from it, i don't think it will resolve the issue.

Appreciate if someone could help me out on this. Is there some log that i can look at to confirm whether BackupExec is even TRYING to send emails out when i click that "Test" button?

Best Regards,
CV.
3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Can you check and see if an antivirus isn't maybe blocking communication from BE? I know on odd occasions McAfee has blocked ports and applications in BE from executing.

connelvalentine
Level 2
Hi,

Well, i have got Symantec antivirus running on two servers in other locations, one with Backupexec 11d and the other with Backupexec 12d. And no problems from those.

What i've done today is, I've installed a local SMTP service.

I reconfigured BOTH, Backupexec and WSUS to use the local server as the SMTP server. When i sent a test message from WSUS, i got a transaction message in the SMTP log file. When i did the same from Backupexec, it did not see any change in the log file. This basicaly CONFIRMS that BackupExec is just not sending out SMTP requests for some reason.

Any thoughts?

CV.

connelvalentine
Level 2
I saw your Mcafee problem here. I'm using Symantec Antivirus client for this server. No port blocking configured as far as i can tell

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277305.htm