Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 Exchange GRT Backup - VCenter Agent

steve1712
Level 4

Hallo,

ich hab da ein kleines Problem... 

Wir sichern einen virt. Exchange 2k7 Server über das VCenter Plugin für BackupExec, die GRT Funktionen sind angewählt, der Backupexec Agent ist auf der VM installiert...

lt. der Wiederherstellungsliste ist auch ein Single Mailbox Recovery (smr) möglich....

allerdings hatten wir nun das Problem das das Log Verzeichnis am exchange übergegangen ist da anscheinend dieser backup Mechanismus die Exchange DB /Logfiles nicht richtig gesichert bzw. abgeschnitten hat!

Bug?Feature? oder einfach nur wo etwas falsch konfiguriert??

lg  und danke für Tipps/Info!

Stephan

12 REPLIES 12

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With the Backup Exec vmware agent you can do GRT backups/restores, but for Exchange/SQL you will need a license. You will have to install the Exchange option of Backup Exec on the Media Server (you can use a 60 day trial to test it).

steve1712
Level 4

Hello, thx for the answer...

we have an exchange agent license...

when running an backupjob directly on the exchange the exchange logs gets back'dup and cutted off...

when running the job trough the vcenter agent thats not happening... (after a month of dooing the backup this way the partition was full of log files...)

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you selected "Full - Database & Logs" and GRT under Exchange in your backup job?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Steve: Is the option to do GRT backups from your VM backup selected?

Under your job in question (or through Tools --> Options --> VMware), make sure that you have GRT Enabled - using virtual machine credentials checked, and then try again.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you by any chance modify the pre-freeze/post-thaw Scripts on the Exchange Server? They can be found here: C:\Programme\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\VSS Provider.

Verify that they don't include a "-copy" parameter for the three calls of BeVssRequestor.exe.

Furthermore check the application eventlog for VSS messages. There should be entries as "information" which tell you if a log truncation was attempted and whether it succeeded.

steve1712
Level 4

Hello,

thx4helping so far... i will now try to answer all question...

sofar all options are set correctly...

as you can see on next screenshot, all vmware plugin GRT options are enabled too:

@SimonB.:  i can't find the path you mentoid...   no C:\Programme\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\VSS Provider  found on exchange...

i found several entries, in eventlog... i also see in the restore jobs the exchange mailboxes...

but the logfiles didn't get truncated....

thx

CraigV

Steve, are you using AOFO? If so, I would strongly suggest turning it off, and trying it again. Using AOFO with database backups is not recommended in the Admin Guide of all versions of BE...

If you don't come right, I will escalate this for you.

steve1712
Level 4

AOFO is not enabled in the Backup Jobs...

but i found now some interesting infos in the eventlog:

Exchange VSS Writer  (Instanz 2aad040c-8916-4e01-b549-3dba3c3f276b:1) hat den Kopiervorgang oder die differenzielle Sicherung von Speichergruppe 'Mailbox Storage Group' erfolgreich abgeschlossen. Für diese Speichergruppe wurden keine Protokolldateien abgeschnitten.

so it looks like that the Backupjob didn't run a full backup of the exchange db... even though in the backup job configured!

steve1712
Level 4

Hello, i'm still having the Problem...

i tried now again to use the vm backup grt options... but no luck at all... 

still getting the error that the logfiles didn't get cutted of on exchange after Backup!

CraigV

...escalated to support for you!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

What version of 2010 are you running?  I just tested this with BE 2010 R2 and Exchange 2007 and saw that it cleared the logs successfully.

You can check the revision by going to Help - About from inside of Backup Exec.

steve1712
Level 4

Hi,

were running BE 2010 R2
Mediaserver: Ver. 13.0 Rev. 4164 (64Bit)
Admincon. Ver 13.0 Rev 4164 (64Bit)
Desktop/Laptop: ver. 3.1 Rev 3.43.17a
FIPS not activated

2 Hotfixes applied (358289, 140360)

Licenseinfocsreenshot:

VCenter is installed on the BE Server too

Exchange Version: 

[PS] H:\>Get-ExchangeServer | fl name,edition,admindisplayversion
Name                : SGMAIL
Edition             : Standard
AdminDisplayVersion : Version 8.1 (Build 240.6)

should be Exchange 2007 SP1 (RollUP1/2 -> Exchange Console shows 08.01.0278.002 witch should represent RollUp2)

Exchange Mgmt Console on Backup Server:
08.03.0106.001 -> Exchange 2007 SP3

let me know if i can help you more to get the problem sorted out!
thx