cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R2 Service Pack 1 & Library Expansion

BSemi
Level 2

Hello I have two tape drives and have been running well for months now until I downloaded and installed BackupExec 2010 R2 Service Pack 1.

Now I am having one of my drives going offline and staying there. All attempts to bring it online went in vain.

I am using Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 with BackupExec 2010 R2, Service Pack 1 and IBM TS3310 Tape library.

I am looking for any help to resolve this issue quickly.

Thanks,

Brendan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BSemi
Level 2

Thank you all for your comments.

I had upgraded the Backup software with Service Pack 1 and somehow I got new drivers for my tape drive 1 changed to Microsoft drivers. I did a rollback of the drivers and it picked up Symantec drivers on the Device Manager. Did a server reboot and my Drive is back.

Thank you all for your input and I will surely upgrade to R3 soon.

Is there some documentation on the benefits of upgrading to R3 available and can someone point them out to me?

Thank you all.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you checked the drive status in Windows Device Manager?

If windows have problems in detecting tape drive, then BE can't detect it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com. After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP1 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

If your two tape drives are in the same tape library, then make sure that you have purchased and install 1 more LEO licence.

Jadeonpax
Level 3

Pkh is correct, lately we also upgraded to BE2010 R3 and got no problems. We are also using the same IBM Library as you have, at first we tried to configure it to 1 library with 2 drive settings and it's asking for a Library Expansion Option but then we decided to configure it as 2 library and 1 drive assigned each. It's Like Library 1 - Drive 1 and Library 2 - Drive 2. If this kind of setting its not looking a LEO anymore.

Cheers...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How do you configure it as two libraries?  Are you talking about using partitions or using some kind of hardware function so that make it appear to Windows as 2 physical libraries?

BSemi
Level 2

Thank you all for your comments.

I had upgraded the Backup software with Service Pack 1 and somehow I got new drivers for my tape drive 1 changed to Microsoft drivers. I did a rollback of the drivers and it picked up Symantec drivers on the Device Manager. Did a server reboot and my Drive is back.

Thank you all for your input and I will surely upgrade to R3 soon.

Is there some documentation on the benefits of upgrading to R3 available and can someone point them out to me?

Thank you all.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

You can find BE 2010 R3 release notes artcle here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160460

It talks about issues which were presen in earlier versions of BE and resolved with BE 2010 R3.

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 Readme.

Regards.....