cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010R3 VFF Open failure during Duplicate (not backup) operation

rvanbaalen
Level 3

I have had the following issue come on two occasions since upgrading to BackupExec2010R3 SP2 a couple of months ago:

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources

We are running Exchange2007 SP3; We perform a GRT backup to disk and then schedule a duplicate to tape (via policy).  Although I see lots of discussions concerning things you can do when it happens during a backup, I see nothing when concerning subsequent operations.  We are running the x32 flavor of BackupExec on the media server and there are two other jobs running at the same time the duplicate is going; I suspect that we have hit some timeout factor.

I did see an article that talked about adding a DWORD on the Exchange server to help with how Backup Exec handles mapping the Exchange database in memory.  The logic is that some databases (typically large databases, or databases with a large amount of logs) may require more virtual memory than a 32bit server can provide:

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout (values from 240 to 600)

Would this also work on the Media server to resolve duplicate issues? 
BTY we are also running multiple file-level backups at the same time the duplicate is going

Thanks in advance!! 

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that you are running low on disk space.  Try changing the location of the temp directory used by GRT.  See the procedure below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-creating-temp-folders?page=0#comment-5953...

madlalan
Level 4

i have a server just for exchange and thers plenty of space on it, is there anything else i need to check?.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can add that DWORD value on the media server..and post this, restart the BE services...And do have a look at this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76078