cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010R3 - Which options do i install on Hyper-V Core?

underlig
Level 3

Hi

I just need some information on what options i need for my setup,

we have a physical server with external scsi-connection to an old Sony Tapedrive. This server runs Microsoft Hyper-V Core Server 2008 R2 SP1.

The virtual server is Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.

Now i do not seem to be able to give the virtual server access directly to the physical tapedrive, to be honest i had a hard time even getting the physical server to boot correctly when the scsi-card was installed. The only scsi-options in hyper-v manager is for scsi-harddrives.

What options/agents am i supposed to install where?

* Physical server has tapedrive but is Core so it's not easy to manage. Physical server only contains .vhds and machine-information for the virtual server, there are several other physical servers with separate server-installations, none of them needs to be backed up by BackupExec.

* Virtual server should be best for management / configuration etc. Virtual server also have fileshares on an array on the physical server that is marked "offline" for the physical server, so that the virtual server can access it directly.

Do i make the core server a media server? It is the only machine capable of accessing the tapedrive..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Firstly you can't install BE on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core...it's not supported as a media server.

This leaves you with using a physical server as a media server which is actually recommended. If you have 1 spare, use that.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Firstly you can't install BE on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core...it's not supported as a media server.

This leaves you with using a physical server as a media server which is actually recommended. If you have 1 spare, use that.

Thanks!

underlig
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, even though it was kinda depressing to realize i cannot run BE in core.

We do have physical servers, i think i will start by attempting to upgrade the core server to a fullblown 2008 with hyper-v role, it just felt like a "waste" to run it like that in the beginning.

Thank you again.

CraigV

...it would be great if that WAS the case, but it won't be with BE 2012 either.