cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec V9.1 restarts the server prior to backup

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Our server restarts prior to commencing (1 minute) a scheduled backup. As a result, the backups don’t run as the server restarts with a system error.

We are running a Windows 2003 Small Business Server. We have never had any problems with our server and the backupexec version is 9.

Event error is as follows:
Source: System Error
Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
error code 1000008e, paramter1 c0000005, parameter2 8059e2dc, parameter3 aaffb5b0, parameter4 00000000

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jason
26 REPLIES 26

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Jason,

I request you to change the schedule time of the backup job and check the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Hello,

Tried that and same thing happens

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Jason,

Since that last suggestion was obviously a joke, try:

- Try a test backup with ntbackup
- Have you got your Tape drive connected to a RAID card? This will cause the issues you have reported in our experience, and is unsupported.
- Have you applied all Windows updates (and with them, the storport.sys SCSI fix)?
- Are you using the Veritas or OEM tape drivers? Either way, swap.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Jason,
-As suggested in the previous post you could change the drivres and check since this could occur due to incompatible drivers.
-Also please verify if this happens only for one particular job or for all scheduled jobs?
-If you run the job immediately using the run now option does the same problem occur?
-Have you configured any pre-job commands? If yes plz give us the details.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Thomas_Coffey
Not applicable
I am seeing the same syptoms on my server. 2003 server running the Remote Agent for Windos Server 9.1.4691
Any help would be great

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8059e2dc, parameter3 f31f45b0, parameter4 00000000.

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Hi Guys,
Found the solution.
We recently upgraded Symantec Antivirus Enterprise to version 10 from 9 and this caused the problem.
We were given a removal tool to completely remove the fragments left over from the original symantec antivirus installation.
Can you believe that an anitivirus upgrade would be responsible for this? And could you believe that APC would release a critical server update and not notify any of its customers or re-sellers?
Thanks to all for your help.

Andrew_Elms
Level 3
I have the same issue. Jason, where can I get the v9 removal tools from?

Thanks,
AndrewMessage was edited by:
Andrew Elms

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Email or phone Symantec Technical support and tell them you would like the complete removal tool required for uninstallation as you are in the process of upgrading to 10.

Hope this helps.

Andrew_Elms
Level 3
Thanks Jason.

Like you, I'm suprised this hasn't been made public knowledge by an official update or patch! Shame Symantec, shame.

Jason_Murray
Level 3
No worries, good luck.

If that doesnt work let me know.

I also did some other troubleshooting work on this issue.

Andrew_Elms
Level 3
Just running the first tool now.

How did you go with the re-install of 10? Was it straight forward?

Jason_Murray
Level 3
yeah, it was the same as the original. No probs.

Not applicable
Does anyone have the link for this tool?

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Mate your best bet is to contact Symantec support as there are different removal tools for different versions, e.t.c

Andrew_Elms
Level 3
Thanks for your tip Jason! This seems to have resolved my issue too.

I used the SCSCleanWipe.bat and NoNAV.bat tools (in that order) as provided by Symantec Tech Support yesterday, and my o-night backup ran fine.

I did notice the NoNAV script did some weird things to the msi removal dialogs, but it worked in the end.

One happy camper here! Thanks again Jason.

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Hi Andrew,

Thats great to hear. My backups have now been working for over a week so i am pretty sure the tool has solved the problem.

Take care,
Jason

JB_Borden
Level 3
I upgraded to Symantec v10 about 15 days ago. Backups continued to function fine until tonight when I had symptoms that led me here. I ran a backup to disk (Vertias Backup Exec) and it seems to be working.

Why would this wait 15 days to start being a problem? I have the same backup to tape job scheduled daily and it has been working fine.

Andrew_Elms
Level 3
Yeah, good question. I upgraded SAV to v10 about 3 weeks ago and didn't have any issues with my daily backup until last Friday. Why it took that long to cause issues I don't know. Why its caused an issue with Veritas Backup Exec at all, I don't know either.

Jason, do you remember how you discovered SAV v10 upgrade was the cause?

Jason_Murray
Level 3
Hi Guys,

To be honest with you all i found this problem by accident.

I accused APC for the problem as i was upgrading the UPS software when the problem started. After trying every single possible thing while troubleshooting with the UPS, i started to look at the server changes i made prior.

I did upgrade to V10 the day before this all happened and i decided to do a re-install of the product, including a complete removal of all symantec components using the removal tool.

Jason