cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec Linux agent crashes when running backup

dbs
Not applicable
Hello,

The backupexec Linux agent installed (version 7170) on Suse Enterprise crashes when I am running backups.
When I check the logs (logs from beremote and linux) is get no information at all mentioning why it crashed.
Is there a way to enable verbose logging in the backupexec linux agent?

Thanks for your help.

dbs
4 REPLIES 4

Midwest
Level 2
Sorry if this is an old thread but this is the same problem we are having.

We are running RHEL v.4 and are having the same problem. The Ralus agent has been re installed and still no good. When we run the backup job it fails saying it was unable to connect to the agent...on top of that it shuts down the agent as well on the Linux server. I have tried everything I can think of all to no evail. Running all the latest patches for Backup Exec.

Running Backup Exec 11d 7170 SP2 Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1

RHEL v.4 x86_64-es4 on our Linux machine.

Using the latest agent download from the file connect site....help, please.

Thanks in advance.

bigh
Not applicable

Hello,

We have the same problem here, SLES 10SP1 and bews agent crashes on each backup. I've been working on this with Symantec support since August last year and still no solution!!! I tried new agent v12, didn't help. The Symantec seems incapable or unwilling to solve this problem, the last thing I heard from the support was that the engineering team must look into the matter, but that they have other priorities at the time!!!!!!!!

Midwest
Level 2
I stumbled upon the fix for our problem through the knowledge base, I was grasping at straws by this point.. This may not be the fix for you but it's worth a shot.

Under Tools-Options-Preferences there is an option to "Display Progress indicators for backup jobs" we had it "enabled" and found that was causing it to fail. Once I disabled it and re ran the job it worked well and we haven't had any problems with the Linux backups since.

I can't find the particular article about it now so I'm not completely sure what the reasoning is behind it but like you I found that support can be...lacking.

Good luck!

H8R
Not applicable

Same problem here.  After reading your experiences I'm glad I didn't pay Symantec for support.

That would only add insult to injury for buying software that doesn't work, then have tech support say they're too busy to fix your problem.

Anyone know of good backup back NOT offered by Symantec.

I'm looking for one.