cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec and IBM TotalStorage 3583

ron_gilliam
Level 2
I have set up Backup Exec 10 sp1 on the server and have a fiber connection to the IBM tape library. The problem I am having is the bar code reader. If I try to turn that on inside Backup Exec, Backup Exec crashes. Any ideas why this happens? I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Backup Exec and the IBM drivers but I still get the same issue.
3 REPLIES 3

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Is the server in a SAN environment?

If so is this server a standalone server or a primary server in SAN?

Check if the library is listed as "tested" in HCL.If so, install VRTS drivers. If the device is listed as "compatible" then it would be better to install OEM drivers

Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Shared Storage Option (SSO) Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274350

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

ron_gilliam
Level 2
It's not in a SAN, it is a NAS however running Storage Server Edition 2003. It will not load the veritas drivers tapeinst.exe just hangs when you try so I am using the oem drivers for the tape library. I can get backups to work but only for a backup of the server. If I try to change a setting to make it backup with the barcode scanner option or anything like that it just crashes out and keeps the default settings it had previously. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling thinking it was a corrupt install but on the reinstall it does the same thing.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Ensure that you have enabled the barcodes in backup Exec in the way the following document suggests:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/259444

Ensure that you run the initailze and the scan functions after configuring the Rules.

Also check out for relevant event IDs in the event viewer.

Do the backups work fine if you disable the barcode rules in Backup Exec?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.