cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups to usb hard drives

dorlow
Not applicable
Product: Backup Exec Version 9.1 Rev. 4691 on Windows Server 2003

I'm a tech at a community school.  I've been trying to make the backup jobs working as smooth as possible.  Lately they've been awesome, completing at 100% with no errors.  The problem I have is when I swap hard drives, I have problems for a few days.  Right now, they are having constant problems since I've switched hard drives.

This is the way I have the system setup.  We have a 2 TB NAS on the network.  I have a folder in there that every backup job gets saved to that folder using a backup-to-disc device in BE.  I then have two Removable Backup-to-Disk folders, one for each external hard drive.  For the backup jobs, I have the backup jobs save to the 2 TB NAS.  Then there's a duplication job that runs immediately after the backup job that copies the backups to the external USB HDs.  I have two HDs.  One is called LCS_Utility_RD_1 and LCS_Utility_RD_2.

The path for LCS_Utility_RD_1 is \\lcsutility\e$\Backups_Disk_1\
The path for LCS_Utility_RD_2 is just \\lcsutility\e$

I wanted both to be just e$ but Backup Exec wouldn't allow me to have two devices with the same path even though the two devices would never be used at the same time. 

So the device that isn't used, I keep the device paused.  When I have to swap the drives, I disconnect the drives physically and swap them.  I then hook up the new one, pause the old hard drive, unpause the one I'm putting in, then I have to go into each duplication job and change the destination drive to the unpaused device. 

This has worked for a little while, but the last week, ever since I swapped hard drives, the duplication jobs are erroring out with

Job name            : Duplicate Full Backup Serv2
Job type : Duplicate
Job status : Failed
Job log : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX01914.xml
Server name : SERV3
Selection list name : Duplicate 0086
Device name         : LCS_Utility_RD_1
Target name : LCS_Utility_RD_1
Media set name : Full Backup
Error category    : Other Errors
Error             : 80004005 - Unspecified error

I know it's not right, but usually to get the hard drives to work after a swap, I usually have to format it, which sucks if I'd ever
had a disaster on the day of a swap and the previous drive's backups didn't work.  But I don't know how to get around that.

So, I'm suspecting I'm not doing the backups completely right.  I need to know the right way to do this. 

Right now, I have a pretty elaborate way I'm doing the backups.  We have 7 servers.  Every night I have a full backup that runs on
one of the servers (sometimes two) and then incrementals that run on all the other servers, so I don't have a night that just
has full backups on all the servers that take 24+ hours. 

Just as a suggestion from a co-worker, I just changed the device I'm saving to from a removable backup to disk folder to a plain
backup to disk folder.  I'll see how that works.  I think part of the problem is it wouldn't be so bad to change the destination drives
for my duplicate jobs, except that I have 8 of them, which seems kind of a lot of changing everytime I change the hard drive.  But I shouldn't
have to format the drives everytime I swap the drives.

0 REPLIES 0