cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballpark tape backup speeds

robnicholson
Level 6

I've recently built a new media server and attached our Quantum Superloader 3 (LTO3) via an Adaptec SCSI card. I'm pretty sure it's starting to fail as I'm sure we got much better throughput when we first re-attached it. It's also throwing up worrying "clean me" reports more often than it should.

However, before I call Quantum support, just wanted to check what's the rough throughput one would expect from a LTO3 tape drive. The test backup is writing a B2D BKF 4GB file to tape where the BKF is local (so no network involved). It's struggling at 78MB/min when I'm sure it should be a factor of 10 times faster. This is basically streaming a 4GB compressed file straight to tape.

We've lost old catalog/job logs so cannot check back.

Cheers, Rob.

PS. Can one use Windows backup on the same server as a test?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

robnicholson
Level 6

Forget this - something is broken/breaking! We did actually have some test backups in the job log from when the server was built a few weeks ago and it was managing ~700MB/min so 70MB/min is definately not good.

Cheers, Rob.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

robnicholson
Level 6

Forget this - something is broken/breaking! We did actually have some test backups in the job log from when the server was built a few weeks ago and it was managing ~700MB/min so 70MB/min is definately not good.

Cheers, Rob.