cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Question

rams7519
Level 3
I've successfully done a week's worth of backups using a created job.  This job uses a Media Set called Media Set 1 that has overwrite protect set for 1 week and infinate allow append. This job ran each night perfectly. Now I will take the tape out and put in a fresh tape for the upcoming week.

My question is do I have to do anything now that I have a fresh tape in there? Do I need to run an Inventory on the device? Do I need to need to 'catalog' or 'move to vault' the Media Label that is listed under Media Set 1? Do I need to create a new Media Label?

Now that I have the fresh tape in there I'm confused that the media label still shows capacity levels that reflect what I've written on to the original tape? Will these capacity levels reset after I run the first backup on the new fresh tape? Also, now that I have the fresh tape in there, when I look under Media Location/Online Media there is nothing listed, will there be something there after the next backup?

Thanks,
Lee

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do I need to run an Inventory on the device?

if you just inventory, BackupExec will assign a default tape label based on what you  have entered in the Options

If you want a specific label, tehn insert the tape and from the devices tab, right click the drive\inventory, then right click again\Label

Leave the tape volume in the scratch media set.  do not move it to media set 1

rams7519
Level 3
Thank you for replying Ken, that helped very much. The thing that I did do wrong was moving the tape volume to media set 1 and my backup did not run. Later after checking your reply I tried it again moving it back to scratch media and it worked fine.

Thanks again,
Lee

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah

When you move a tape into a media set, it takes on all properties of that media set as of the date/time of the move.  That means that if, for  example, the media set has a 14 day OPP, you cannot write to that tape for 14 days.

(that bites a lot of people when they first start using BackupExec, so don't feel too bad about it Smiley Tongue)

rams7519
Level 3
Cool.

So this Friday I'll be putting in another fresh tape for the upcoming week. I'll just run an inventory job after I put the fresh tape in and let BE assign whatever label name it wants to by default.

The next week after that I will begin having to re-use tapes. On that Friday, I'll put a tape in that has already been written to, do an invetory then (long erase or quick erase? which do you recommend?) After the erase I shouldn't have to do anything else right?

Thanks,
Lee

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you have setup OPP corectly, all you should have to do is inventory, so that BackupExec is aware of the newly mounted tape. 

If the Header info displays in Blue, the tape is overwritable and you don't need to do anything else

If it displays in Black, then you need to drag the volume to the scratch media set before you can overwrite it (or relabel or quick erase - any of the three will accomplish the same thing)

rams7519
Level 3
Got it. Thanks again!