cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for BE and Hyper-V CSV and VMs

RCurtis
Level 3

Currently using Backup Exec 2010 R3 Build 5204 64 bit

Running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 box, dedicated (not on any of my Hyper-V hosts)

Backup is "across the wire" (yes, slow)

I have a 3 node Hyper-V cluster and am trying to determine the best way to accomplish this:

I run strictly tape...way too much disk required to to B2D.

My tape library is a 4 drive LTO5 changer.  Previously I have just divided up all my targets (both physical and virtual) into 7 or 8 different jobs and just did a normal agent level backup.  This has worked well but I know I need to get into the Hyper-V agent backups to easily facilitate disaster recovery.

I have never paid much attention to what targets were running at the same time since I've had 4 parallel data streams going at the same time and the agent didn't care.  Now however, due to the "Online (Backup in progress, Redirected access" issue/limitation it would appear that I am going to have to change tracks.

I could set up a single job for each of my 3 hosts, which is *supposed* to automatically catch whatever Hyper-V guests happen to be running on it at the time...but guests are liable to be migrated around and at any point in time the backup of 1 host would "cross" the boundary into another host's CSV area... which from what I gether will cause those jobs to fail.

What is everybody doing to accomodate this issue of parallel backups to multiple Hyper-V hosts?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Here's the link for the Hyper-V best practices...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74442

Thanks!

RCurtis
Level 3

Thanks for the reply craig...

That link brings up a document that is titled specifically for BE 2012.  Is everything in this document backward compatible to 2010 R3?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

My bad...misread & thought it was BE 2012...but here is the link for your version:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21770

Thanks!

RCurtis
Level 3

Actually...upon reading this document, it does not address any of the issues I raised at all.  It covers a couple of things in regards to GRT & such but nothing like I asked in my original post.

RCurtis
Level 3

Anybody?