cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for SQL Databases

George_Ioannide
Level 3
Hello,

Can some please guide me with some information pertainng to best practice on backing up SQL Databases 2000, if any out there?

Where transactions are very frequent and running full backups daily would be our perfect solution instead of using differential backups?

I have read the part for SQL Backups in the administrators guide that comes with Backup Exec; however I could not find anything on some good methods... :(

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
George
1 REPLY 1

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

I depends upon your environment.

Using database, differential, and log backups provides a good balance between backup windows and minimizes the amount of time that will be spent recovering a database if the need arises.
To decide which backup methods to use for the best data protection, consider the
following for typical environments:

■ In small environments, consider running a daily full database backup every evening and daily transaction log backups.

■ In mid-sized environments, consider running a weekly full database backup and
daily transaction log backups along with daily differential backups except on the
day when the full backup is run.
The Backup Exec logon account containing the SQL user account credentials is applied to the SQL instance.

■ In large environments, consider running daily differential database backups, weekly full database backups, and transaction log backups as necessary. Many shops run full backups on a weekly basis, preferring to run differential backups throughout the week to keep backup run time to a minimum. Extremely large environments may need to run filegroup backups in order to split the full backup over several days. Logbackups are required to be able to recover a system from a filegroup backup.