cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for backing up to tape??

Paulo
Level 4
I am currently doing a nightly full backup to a B2D folder on my NAS server, and then once complete I am backing this up to my Dell 124T LT03 autoloader. Is this the best way to be doing things? I ask the question because I have tried to restore some data from tape this week and after cataloging the tape I only get the option to restore the entire bkf file! Which could be anything up to 100GB. Is it not possible to drill down the contents on the bkf files on the tape and select individual files for restore? Surely I do not have to restore the entire contents of the tape, then import the media into backup exec?

Can anyone help?? I am quite new to this product, but I am starting to think that Arcserve was not so bad after all!

Regards
Paul.
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
What you need to do is to duplicate your backups to tape, not just backup the files. To duplicate backups manually, see How to duplicate a backup set
However, to duplicate your overnight automatically, you need to create your backups using a policy, then add a policy template to duplicate to tape.

Paulo
Level 4
Thanks for your advice. I am now setting up a new policy to duplicate all b2d jobs to tape.

Paul.