cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BkExec 2012 Windows agent on hyperV

ollyp
Level 3

Hi all.

We have a tiny hyper-v server running a couple of VM's. Its single server with local disks install.

I need to back up 1 of the VM's, but dont have a Hyper-V agent.

It backs up OK, but i notice it backs up the vhd. Under BkExec 2010 you need to the hyper-v agent to then restore individual files.

Is this the case with 2012, or can i restore a single file from within the vhd using the standard windows agent.

Thanks

Olly

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How did you select the server for backup ?
You will have to install the BE remote agent on the virtual machine, and select the server (C$, D$, ect, and SystemState).

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

You need to have Agent for Windows installed on the guest VM in order to restore individual files/folders from your Hyper-V backups. This is same for Backup Exec 2010 and 2012.

ollyp
Level 3

I currently have a standard Windows agent on the VM, but when i went to try a test backup, i wasnt given a choice.

I select One time backup (to tape) and it produces a popup screen with everything selected. The is a little yesllow exclamation that if you hover over it says All necessary components are selected for disaster recovery.

I am unable to remove items or select a file/folder

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you select this VM using its netbios name or did you select it under the Hyper-V host?  Since you do not have the Hyper-V agent, you should backup the VM as a physical machine by selecting it using its netbios name.  You would also need a RAWS licence to back it up.

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

You can select individual files and folders for backup in a one time backup job too, please follow the below steps:

1) Click on 'Edit' as seen in below pic.

2) Once you click on 'Edit' a new window will come up, where you can select/remove resources

3) You can select individual files and folders for backup, Note that Simplified Disaster Recovery turns to OFF in this case since you would be protecting few files and folders only.

ollyp
Level 3

Thanks Sameer.

I must need a new pai of glasses, as i didnt spot the edit button!!!

cheers

Olly