cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branch Office Media Server - CASO

edvSDL
Level 4

Hi,

I'm planing to install a Media Server on two of my branch offices.

Push install is not an option since that would go through the WAN.

Can I install a Media Server by DVD and then just add it to the CASO server? I'm asking this because I found this on google: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1604532&page=3

I'm currently running "2010 R2" but I'm probable going to upgrade to R3, I just need to check if my license is valid for R3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Couple of things to do:

1. Use the server name...not IP, nor FQDN. Neither of those will work.

2. Put in an entry for that CASO server in your hosts file.

3. Make sure that the CASO license is successfully entered on your CASO server, and also make sure your services are started up. If they aren't, you won't be able to connect to the CASO.

4. Not sure which way you're adding your server into the CASO, but you can use either BEutility.exe (I prefer this way) or within BE itself...whichever version doesn't work, try the other.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

R2 license will work on R3 too.

Yes you may install Media server through DVD or download an ISO. During installation you need

to specify the CASO server's name to which the media server with report to.

Also note CASO and Managed Media server has to be of the same version.

edvSDL
Level 4

Thank you,

On the branch server, the installer reports an error:

"The server 192.168.7.14 does not appear to be a valid central administration server".

Same error when using FQDN. Any idea how to troubleshoot this error?

EDIT: I just realized I have not yet configured anything on the CASO server. Just installed the CASO role. Going to check on this after dinner.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure you are able to pin the CASO server from the Managed media server

CraigV

Couple of things to do:

1. Use the server name...not IP, nor FQDN. Neither of those will work.

2. Put in an entry for that CASO server in your hosts file.

3. Make sure that the CASO license is successfully entered on your CASO server, and also make sure your services are started up. If they aren't, you won't be able to connect to the CASO.

4. Not sure which way you're adding your server into the CASO, but you can use either BEutility.exe (I prefer this way) or within BE itself...whichever version doesn't work, try the other.

Thanks!

edvSDL
Level 4

Wow...

you're right, just "servername" worked. I guess there are things I don't need to understand :)

I have added an RDX device to the branch media server and configured a backup policy. Everyting seems to work fine so far. Also, the control traffic on the WAN seems to be very low! I'm very satisfied!

EDIT: Sorry, I can only select one single post as a solution.

CraigV

...then you'd select the post that actually helped you in finding the solution...wink

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

An you can also give a "thumbs up" to any others that helped, to a lesser extent