cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo TeraStation Credential Error

Tommy_Evans
Level 2
I just set up a Buffalo TeraStation Pro NAS storage device.
I can access the device vian UNC by the IP address of the device. This device supports Active Directory. Every sharepoint on the device is configured to allow access by the Administrator account for the Windows 2003 Server (Small Business Edition).

When I set up Backup Exec to backup the device, I was able to add a User-Defined Selection and can browse the device without any prloblems - I can drill down through the subdirectories and view the files. (I'm logged in as Administrator).

However, when I do a test-run of the backup job, I get a Credential Failure error on every sharepoint on the device. I've tried setting the credentials to Administrator, to the admin user for the TeraStation, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I just don't understand why I can access it during setup, but not during the job.
9 REPLIES 9

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-- Is any Operating system running on NAS ?

--Have you installed remote agent on it ?

Known compatibility issues with Backup Exec for Windows Servers and NetApp Filer Systems
http://support.veritas.com/docs/270396
Network Attached Storage (NAS) appliance compatibility with Backup Exec 8.x , 9.x, and 10.x.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237737

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Tommy_Evans
Level 2
It's running MontaVista Linux.

Haven't tried installing a Remote Agent - I don't think they have a license for that. Plus, I'm not sure how I'd do it. This is just a little lunchbox-sized RAID system that you configure through a web interface.

Like I said, I can browse just fine through the Backup Exec, but it fails when it runs the job.

Tommy_Evans
Level 2
I contacted Buffalo Technologies, who said it should work as long as I provide the IP address of the unit instead of the network name (which I have done). (Apparently, there's a bug in this version of the firmware that won't let you connect by network name).

I even tried adding a name to the HOSTS file, to see if that did anything - it doesn't.

In the Test Run stats, it shows "Agent Used: Yes" - and I think that's the problem. Bufallo says theres no way to install an agent on the unit.

Is there any way to tell Backup Exec NOT to try using an agent for a particular source?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Tommy,

I post this link every few days on this board:

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=53175&start=0&tstart=0

On one hand it's next to useless to you because there's no real solution presented. On the other hand, I can tell you you're not alone. NAS boxes in general seem to have a "sort of work sometimes" attitude towards Backup Exec, and given Veritas support is non existant for this sort of thing, getting a proper solution is touch and go.

I can only wish you the best of luck.

Tommy_Evans
Level 2
Well - this is just par for the course. Glad that Symantec offers a "moderated forum" that's seldom read by support...

SO - I tried calling support. They asked my name, what VERSION I had, etc. Then said I could get free email support, and gave me a link to go to. So - I go to the link, and email support is not offered anymore (since January)!?

I called back, explained my problem, and they put me in touch with SALES. I told her my story, that I had an NAS device, etc. She told me to go look at the compatability list. So she says "go to www.backupexec.com"... when I can't find the link she's telling me about, she says "You are at support.symantec.com, right?" Clueless.

The list has tape drives, etc on it. I asked about NAS and she says "Oh, it's an NAS device??" (I had already explained that).

So - she then tells me that I have to upgrade to 10.1 - that's $500+. Then, I have to get an Agent to run on the SAME machine as the backup - to connect to the NAS (exactly - that doesn't make sense to me either). "Those are cheap - about $300".

So - I'm trying backup4all. www.backup4all.com - it's $50, and I'm backing the NAS up to a local drive, which is part of the Veritas backup configuration.

I've never been impressed with Symantec's support, which is why I don't recomment their products (I'm a consultant). This just solidifies that.

Now - we'll see how long this stays up there before a MODERATOR removes it. LOL.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Tommy,

Pretty much the same thing echoed all around.

No moderator is going to remove your statement, because there's noone who understands english well enough to know what the hell you said.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Tommy,

Did you go through the forum link provided by Joshua?

You need to install a remote agent on the NAS box in order to back it up.

Is the NAS device emulating any operating system or the propietary OS is installed on it?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Rucha,

YOU
HAVE
GOT
TO
BE
KIDDING
ME

I don't know if you replied to the wrong thread, or just never bothered reading anything, but please, don't insult the intelligence of the public by posting this sort of rubbish.

It tells the poster that you simply don't care about his problem, that, or you lack the english comprehension to make sense of anything which was said here, and it offends me to see intelligent discussion degraded by this sort of trash.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Documents:

A Remote Agent for Windows Server license is required on a backup server to protect a SNAP server that runs SAMBA on a Linux kernel

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264525

A backup of a UNIX-based SNAP server lists an "Unable to initialize Remote Agent" error

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271106

Thank You,

Shweta