cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo TeraStation Pro

Zane_Paxton
Level 3
I take it from a forum search that no one has been able to successfully use BE 10d to backup a Windows 2003 server to a Buffalo TeraStation Pro NAS? If anyone has been able to get this to work routinely well I'd love to hear about it.
I very recently got a new (BETA) firmware update from Buffalo that allows the TeraStation Pro to show up on the domain as a network share. And I recognize that the TeraStation (of any sort) can't load a remote agent as BE 10 would like to see....

Thanks for any assistance !

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9

Zane_Paxton
Level 3
My contact at Buffalo referred me to this link to address backing up to the TeraStation Pro.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253764.htm

With the new BETA firmware that allows the TS-Pro to show up as a Network Share, this seems to make sense. I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully seen this work.

Also, Buffalo is considering allowing a Veritas Linux agent to run on their TS-Pro Linux-OS based box, but it needs to be customized to support the PowerPC processor that it has. Apparently Buffalo/Japan doesn't like the idea, but if enough of you out there were to voice an interest, that might make a difference in persuading them to take on this more enlightened and certainly functionally useful point of view.

Cheers,

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hallo Zane,

NAS has its own Compatibility Crietria with Backupexec. Could you tell us what OS does you NAS immulate?

You can go through the following Articles:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/247059.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237737.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Zane_Paxton
Level 3
The TS-Pro doesn't emulate any OS (as far as I know) and currently doesn't allow an agent to be loaded on their Linux/PPC processor based platform.

The new (BETA) firmware joins the domain as a network share. That is progress, but not ideal.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Have you created removable backup-to-disk folders ?
Can you access it ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Level 4
I am so far succesfully running this in a server cage with an updated version of Veritas and the most current firmware for the TeraServer. I'm using a network share with a backup-to-disk folder pointed at the URN (not at a mapped drive). If you'd like further info on how it's set up please let me know.

Cheers,
Lee

Carl_Nelson
Not applicable
Lee,
I am currently thinking about purchasing a Terastation Pro, so any info on how you setup the backup would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Carl

Level 4
I set the TeraStation up at my cage as a fast/cheap way of backing up servers. It is not a full backup solution, but works wonderfully in combination with BackupExec and LiveRecovery. Basically I set up my jobs to write to a backup to disk folder with a 10GB file size (just to keep things manageable) per backup media. I set up sepeate B2D directories for my web servers, my email server, my DNS and my SQL server. All are set for overwrite protection for 1 week. The jobs are set up for append/overwrite. The media pools are set for each B2D folder to a max size so they don't grow beyond that size. The backup directory is shared using the ability to do a windows based share built into the current TeraServer OS. I used URN's rather than mapped drives to the Teraserver b2d folders. (IE \\backupserver\backup\SQLBackupDir).

I also do a liverecovery backup of each server daily, so that they can be rebuilt in a hurry. I purchased the full option that allows you to rebuild on a different hardware platform if that is necessary. I hold 3 liverecovery backups per server in memory.

Note that the one thing the teraserver does that is funny is when you delete something it puts it in a recycle bin but does not purge it from the disk. You'll need to do some maintenance periodically to clean out the deleted files.

Level 4
I'm also running monthly archival backups of all the servers that are kept for a year. My future plans are to purchase some offline USB Storage so I can take snapshots offsite.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Zane,

- Could you please Update us on the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.