cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Question

Andrew_Smith_6
Level 3
Hello

Iam a little confused on how CPS works and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Basically we have a central Backup Exec server and at our remote sites we have a file/print server that we want to protect with CPS. We want the servers to backup to our central Backup server.

I have installed CPS on our central BE server and put the agent on our remote file server.

Now I understand that the Server is our central BE server and that the Backup job basically does a robocopy copy of the data from our remote server to our BE server. But in the Setup tab of the CPS we have a folder called "Backup Destinations" This seams to be were the Snapshot (or Shadow Copy) files are stored.

Would I be correct in thinking that the data on "Backup Destinations" ie the snapshots are held on the remote file server and NOT the central BE server?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

No, the remote file server in this case would be the source and the server where CPS is installed can be defined as the destination. In CPS, you need both the source and the destination in order to run a job. The data can then be also protected with Backup exec.

In order to understand the complete functioning of CPS, you can refer to the CPS admin guide. Here is the link for the download:

Symantec Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server (tm) 10d Administrator's Guide (English)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279483

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Andrew_Smith_6
Level 3
So the snapshot are held both on the remote server and the the CPS server?

Can you set it up so they are just held on the remote server and just the replicated files are held on the CPS server?