cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS - Theory of Operation on CPA Servers

Dave_Hacker
Level 2
Is there any information posted anywhere on what happens on CPA's? I would like to know how the agent/filter knows what parts of what files to send to the CPS. I see inconsistent results on local LAN based servers and WAN based servers, and sometimes it doesn't make any sense.

I am used to Storage Replicator, and with that technology there was like a "waterfall" effect where by the service would start at the "top" of the "directory structure" and then proceed to the bottom. With CPA, I just don't know what is going on.
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Do you receive any error message?

-- Kindly refer the Admin Guide to get the information on CPA:

Symantec Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server (tm) 10d Administrator's Guide (English)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279483

Thank You,

Shweta

Dave_Hacker
Level 2
There really is not any error messages, except some CPA>CPS jobs run very slowly, and replication never finishes. If I monitor the job, I see the job hang or really slow down on certain jobs. Here are some followup questions::

1. In the past in my environment, some CPA>CPS jobs ran simultaneously with BE10d(writing to tape) jobs. This caused some file corruption on the CPS volume locations, and tech support explained that CPA>CPS jobs MUST NOT run at the same time as BE10d tape backup operations on the same fileset.

If there are corrupt files present on the CPS volume (due to the above), will subsequent CPA>CPS jobs be able to overwrite the corrupt file with the "good" file from the CPA server, or will the CPA>CPS operation fail/stop/slow-down when it gets to the corrupt file on the CPS volume?

2. Why does the Journals directory on CPA servers contain files from several days ago, when the CPA>CPS job is schedule to run daily?

3. How does the Journals directory on CPA servers get populated?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Install the following hotfix on the CPS server:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283827.htm

Regards,