cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU for beserver.exe goes to 30% constant, and memory goes up

Peter_Oscarsson
Level 2
CPU for beserver.exe goes to 30% constant, and memory goes up to about 70�% of available physical memory.
After a while the beserver.exe crashes.

This is Windows 2000 SP4 + Rollup
All patches installed both for W2K and Backup Exec.
I have the Lotus Domino Agent installed on same server.

The backup medium is an HP Ultrium Autoloader attached to an adaptec SCSI adapter 29160.

Any suggestions
12 REPLIES 12

Doug_Peters
Level 3
I can't offer any help, but I can sympathise with you. I have upgraded 3 of the 7 servers I needed to and I had to stop. They are 2000 sp4 no agents and the memory gets eaten up and the on the processor is hovering around 70%. I have updated with all their service packs and it didn't help.

I have a ticket open but getting any kind of response has bee difficult as they assigned my ticket to a Support tech who must work 2nd shift and always calls me back at 7:00om my time. Not very helpful

I will post back if I get a solution.

Doug_Peters
Level 3
They moved my call to a different tech and a I got a call back quick.

He hasn't seen this before and collected my logs and we be reviewing. He made it seem like I may be onto a new issue. Great.

Peter_Oscarsson
Level 2
Thanx for the update. Please keep me informed about the issue.

/Peter

Doug_Peters
Level 3
Here is where is stands on my case.

From Symantec:

Doug,
Just want to keep you in the loop. There are a couple other open cases very similar to yours where installing BEWS 11d on a Windows 2000 SP4 server is spiking CPU usage and using all the RAM. All open cases except one have BEWS 11d installed on a DC and we are not sure if the exception is a DC or not (we are confirming this now).

Needless to say, we are bumping this up to for our programmers to examine. I will keep you posted.

Jay_Hughes
Level 3
Hi Peter:

Run a repair on the .Net 2.0 Framework Installation by browsing to Winnt\Install\DotNetFX\DotNetFX.Exe File from the Backup Exec 11D Installation Software. Double click on this and select the "Repair" Option when the wizard comes up.

Jay

Peter_Donnermey
Level 2
Hi all!

I have the same Problem!! I'm running BE 11d on a Windows 2000 SP4 with latest Hotfixes! It is also a DC!
I tried the repair Installation of .Net Framework, but that didn't help!!
I have opened an urgent Case at Symantec Support! But i'm still waiting for a reply!

Peter

Peter_Oscarsson
Level 2
Thanx, but this didn't help in my case.

Doug_Peters
Level 3
Tried the .net fix on one of the servers. No luck.

Time to try to find out the status on my ticket it's been about a week

Yanick_Quirion
Not applicable
Dear all,

I'm having the same problem and the same configuration as you, except beserver.exe take all the CPU 100%.

I'm currently evaluating the software and I don't have access to Symantec support. If somebody has any new developement, con yoi please post them here? I can also be reach at neokimia@hotmail.com.

Regards,
Yanick Quirion

Peter_Donnermey
Level 2
Hello!

The Problem is fixed on my Server! The Problem was caused by a missing Folder for Temp Files in the .NET Framework Installation!

Look for a File named crf.log (on our Server: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\CRF)
In this file there was an error Message which says that there is no access to the Folder in C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Normally this Folder is created during the Installation of .NET Framework
In my case I created the Folder "Temporary ASP.NET Files" in this folder
and.... after that the CPU is bored again :)
Wonderfull!

Hope this helps for you as well!

Peter

Doug_Peters
Level 3
Same solution worked here. I applied it last wednesday just hadn't had a chance to post here.

Peter_Oscarsson
Level 2
Hello
This solved the issue for our case also. Thank you. I have awared you a correct answer as you were the first one to post the solution.

THANX!!!!