cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can DLT32K and DLT64K exist in same Cascaded Drive Pool?

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
Apparently it allows you to select the 2 devices for the pool - but the job seemingly wont "roll" to the next device. is this the problem? Has anyone had success with two different DLT types?
thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Kerm
Level 5
Are the 32 and 64k the buffer size? I've used a lot of DLT drives, I'm not familiar with these designations. I wouldn't think different buffer size would get in your way. If this is a buffer size difference look in device > drive > properties > configuration and see if you can make the buffer sizes the same. Also, try using the drives in the opposite SCSI ID order or try physically reversing the two drives on the cable. That's a shotgun approach, but can be done quickly if you can reboot the server when you move drives.

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
Good ideas...Thank you They do indeed indicate the buffer size as well as the block type -> both relating to compression. I'll change the 64k device to 32k to match that of the 32k device...give this a try and then try the last 2 ideas if no go. Its strange that the pool allows both devices to be selected during setup when set to 32K...

Kerm
Level 5
Install probably isn't interested in the details, especially when they can be changed on the fly after installation. Good luck.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

When you select drives for a cascaded drive pool, only drives of the same drive type are displayed for selection. Any drives that you move to a cascaded drive pool are removed from device pools that they are currently in.

In order to isolate the issue, please delete the existing cascaded drive pool and create a new cascaded drive pool. Verify the results.

By changing the buffer size, it may impact the performance of the device. We suggest you to verify the same with your vendor in order to make the changes as recommended by the vendor.

We hope this will help.

Thanks.

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
That information is incorrect. Selecting subtype 32K under drive type for a new Cascade will list for selection both 64K and 32K DLT drives for instance, while selecting 64K subtype will only make available the 64K. I have deleted and recreated the cascade using 32K subtype trying both a different order and several other SCSI options per Kerm's advice. The job fills up the first tape, sends an alert asking to remove the media and then insert new media. It acts like the 2nd drive is not there, even though setup and the pool look perfect.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What are the 2 tape drives you have?

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
One is a BNCHMRK DLT 1 type:64K the other is a Quantum DLT4000 type:32K
thank you for your assistance!

Today I am going to borrow another Quantum DLT4000 and see if its the drive thats the issue...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
DLT1 and DLTx000 are not compatible.

See www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/ epartners/tds/pdf/DLT_I_MediaComp.pdf

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
Thanks Ken,
I see that the media cannot be interchanged very readily, but this gives no indication that the two can or cannot be utilized to work together ie in a pool. Although, this is helpful...I would have little use for drives that cannot read the same media. Good research.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You cannot setup a cascaded drive pool with 2 different drives - they must be exactly the same.

So in your case you will need either 2 DLT1 drives or 2 DLT8000 or 2 DLT7000 or 2 DLT4000 (whatever you have)

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
I guess Ken answered it after all!!
thanks to all