cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup open files

edber
Level 4
All of a sudden BE has decided it can't backup open files anymore.
Simple things like open Spreadsheets, log files , or even MYSQL Databases, which use to backup all the time, but all of a sudden say no.

No rhyme or reason, just the standard message

The item \\servername\\C:\users\Anna Tsoulogiannis\Movieola\PROGRAMMING\week of sept 14.xls in use - skipped.
Now some of the servers may have a the SP3 version of the remote and open file agent, but a server I KNOW has Sp4  installed is still giving the same issue

BE 11d Build 7170 Sp4 HF 34,62,64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi edber,

Take a look at your job and make sure that AOFO is actually selected in the job itself. It sometimes happens that your jobs succeed when not using AOFO if those files are closed off.
AOFO obviously takes care of that, but shouldn't be used if you are backing up DBs, Exchange etc in the same job.
You can also check to make sure that AOFO is installed on any remote servers by pushing out the RAWS agent from your backup server again and checking to see whether or not AOFO is selected for install. If it's already installed, it won't let you proceed.

Laters!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Hi edber,

Take a look at your job and make sure that AOFO is actually selected in the job itself. It sometimes happens that your jobs succeed when not using AOFO if those files are closed off.
AOFO obviously takes care of that, but shouldn't be used if you are backing up DBs, Exchange etc in the same job.
You can also check to make sure that AOFO is installed on any remote servers by pushing out the RAWS agent from your backup server again and checking to see whether or not AOFO is selected for install. If it's already installed, it won't let you proceed.

Laters!

edber
Level 4
That's what it was.. wierd I can show jobs going back months (I haven't changed the jobs) that had 100% backups (with the same files open) but all of a sudden.. it decided not to work.

THE DB's are MYSQL thats not an issue (unlike the M$ ones) to backup.

Question, why would I not use AOFO and backup Exchange?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Question, why would I not use AOFO and backup Exchange?

AOFO backs up each file as a flat file when it gets to it.  Multi-file databases can  be useless or corrupt when you try to recover using flatfile backups rather than Agent Backups, or the difference in time between files can cause them to become out of sync

On top of that, AFE (Active File Exclusion) should skip all Exchange database files (as well as MSSQL, Oracle and Mptes databases) since as long as the database server is running

edber
Level 4
Maybe there was some confusion as to my question
I use the Exchange Agent to backup exchange, but if I leave AOFO checked while exchange backups up, will that cause a problem?

CraigV
AOFO is not really supposed to be used when backing up databases according to Symantec.
You can separate the 2 different types of jobs (DBs and non-DBs), and configure the jobs so that they point to the same tape.
Just finished writing an article on that which you can read up on here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

edber
Level 4
Says I'm not authorized.

CraigV
Ah man...are you part of the Partner Group? I made it public too...if you aren't, try join.
What I have done it put in part of the article dealing with splitting existing jobs:

·         The main task here is to create a separate selection list for the databases, and then deselect them on the existing selection list which will now contain only files etc. Give both of them names that will adequately describe what they’re used for.
·         Once done, rename the existing backup job if necessary to distinguish it from the job that will be created. Make sure AOFO is used.
·         Create a new job for the databases. You can use the settings as in 1 above. Set it to start before your files job etc.
·         Point it to the same media sets that already exist. There is no need to create new ones, as this job would then use a new tape, and not append to existing tapes. This would also mean 2 different sets expiring data at different times. AOFO must not be used.
·         The last task here would be to start the job containing non-DB selections after the backup job to backup your DBs.

Let me know how it goes...

CraigV
Any news on this one...?