cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Backup Exec Ver 12 to recognize tape on load

chasmx
Level 2

I have an HP Ultrim I tape drive on a SCSI interface running under W2003 Sever R2 on a HP server.  When I first insert a tape the Backup Exec software doesn't read and display the tape label.  Even if I hit F5 the window displaying the media under the devices tab is blank.  The only way I can get the tape label to display in the window is to run an Inventory job on the Ultrium drive.  After the Inventory job completes the tape label magically appears.  All other functions seem to work fine.  I'm able to backup once there is a tape label appearing in the window.  Previous versions of the program displayed the tape label automatically when the tape was first loaded into the drive.  What can I do to have the tape get "inventoried" automatically on the initial load?

Thanks,

Charles M.

2 REPLIES 2

LouisT_2
Level 3

Hi,

It seems that there is no way to have it done automaticaly like it was with previous version. But I found with the help of someone here, that we can use the command bemcmd in a batch file, which will be automated buy Windows Task Manager.

I've tried it and it work perfectly, I have it execute before the backup started, and do the inventory like if I had myself launch le command within BE.

The parameter is bemcmd -o117 -d"name of the drive"

LouisT.

LouisT_2
Level 3

More easier

go to the devices and right click on the tape drive and clicked on inventory. Then on schedule I schedule it when I want.