cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select folder/files on remote Windows XP Sp2 workstation

Mukesh_Trivedi
Level 3
I have installed Backup Exec for Windows 10d on Windows 2003 SP1 server. I am trying to push the Remote Agent for Windows Server to Windows XP Prof. SP2 workstation and it asks me to input password and than it gives me error saying "Attempting to connect to \\itroom failed with the following error " The RPC server is unavailable"

After this error I found the solution from Support.Veritas.com and copied RANT32 folder on workstation and installed the Remote Agent without any problem. Now when I try to select files from ITROOM workstation from Backup Exec Server to take backup it shows me C: drive as grayed out and I cannot drill down to C: Drive. It happens on XP workstations only.

I am able to install Remote Agent on Windows 2000 workstations from Backup Exec server using Push installation.
6 REPLIES 6

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Did you check if the Remote Agent service is running?

(the first issue is quite normal IMHO, I install the RA this way on all my servers)

greetings
Peter

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
First check if the version of "beremote.exe" is the same on the Media Server and on the Remote Workstation.
If the version is same, check if the Windows firewall or any other firewall is on. If it is on, try adding "beremote.exe" to the exceptions list.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mukesh_Trivedi
Level 3
Hi Peter, Thanks for your response.

Yes Remote agent service is running on workstation.

I am having this problem on Windows XP Prof. Workstations only not on Windows 2000 Prof. workstation.

Any idea?
Mukesh

Mukesh_Trivedi
Level 3
Thanks Arvind for your response.

We have just purchased Backup Exec version 10d and I don't think beremote.exe version will be different.

Can you please tell me what settings should be of firewall because Windows XP has its own Windows Firewall which is ok I believe as it lets me control if use Remote Desktop connection. We have Instagare Firewall as well.

I am having problem on Windows XP prof. workstations only not on Windows 2000 Prof. Workstations.

Mukesh

Mukesh_Trivedi
Level 3
Thanks Arvind. It was problem of Windows Firewall I added beremote.exe in exception and it works now.

Mukesh

Mukesh_Trivedi
Level 3
Problem Solved