cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select remote share

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
I have been trying to backup a folder on one of the workstations on our network. When I try to select the User-defined selection, I get a pop-up titled "Logon Account Selection" which contains the following error message:

"Logon account "" failed to access "\\\". Access is denied."

I am using the system adminstrator account to log onto Backup Exec and the same account also has full access to the folder I am trying to share.

The remote agent is running on the workstation in question.

What am I doing wrong?
6 REPLIES 6

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Try using under user defined selections IP address and then verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
I tried using the IP address in place of the computer name in the user defined selections. I am still getting the same error as before.

For what it's worth: Over the weekend, my daily differential backups failed. It appears that Backup Exec attempted to backup the remote share even though it was not selected. The error message for the remote share was:

a000fe39 - Authentication failed on connection to server

I noticed that even though the remote share is not selected under "Selections", it is still listed under "Resource Order" and "Resource Credentials".

I couldn't figure out how to delete the remote share from these lists, so I made a new differential backup that only includes the drives on the server. I won't be running this backup until Tuesday night, so I can't say if it works properly until Wednesday (bear in mind that the old differential backup passed the test run OK but failed during the real backup).

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Ensure that the option "Enable selection of default shares" is enabled in Tools> Options > Network and firewall in Backup Exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
I thought I had answered your reply last week, but it does not appear to gotten through.

I am puzzled by your instructions because the Tools>Options window on my server does not include the "Network and firewall" option you describe.

On my computer, the Tools>Options window has a "Properties" windown which includes a "Network". When I select "Network", I get a window with options for "Enable selection of remote shares" and "Enable selection of user shares". Both of these options are check marked.

What do I do next?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We aplogise for Replying late. Can you let us know of the Exact Status.

- Can you let us know what is the BE Version that you are using.

- Also is this Remote Computer you have the shares on, in the same Domain and running a Windows OS?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I am using the system adminstrator account to log onto Backup Exec

Is this a local admin account or a Domain Admin account?

if it is a local account, from the Backup Selection pane, right click the workstation, and select "Connect As" then give it an account in the format "MachineName\Userid" with the appropriate password.