Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot append data to tapes on some jobs

Pavel_Bazlov
Level 3
Hi!

Here is what i've got:
I'm backing up archived windows security logs with backup and delete method. Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available is selected in this policy.
In media set that is used "infinite - allow append" append period is selected. This jobs is running on weekly schedule. The policy uses two selection lists, so it makes 2 jobs that are run on the same schedule.

the problem is that every time this jobs run they demand overwritable media and do not even try to append. For instance, this week i insert scratch media, this two jobs run and do their business, i get a tape with backup. Lets call this tape "logs1". Next week when this jobs run on schedule i insert that "tape1" and i get two popup windows: 1) tells me that the tape that i inserted is overwrite protected 2) tells me to insert an overwritable media...

So every week i have to use a brand new tape but 1 tape can contain 10-15 windows logs backup jobs easily... That's sad.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Btw, i'm using Backup Exec 2010 with all latest patches installed in Windows Server 2008 standard with all updates.
8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
After running your jobs, go to the Media tab and click on the tape that was used by the job.  The tape properties will tell you when the tape can be overwritten and up till when can it be appended.  Check these dates to see if they meet your expectations.

Instead of running both jobs at the same time, have you tried running them staggered, i.e., at slightly different time?

Pavel_Bazlov
Level 3
Well, tape properties show as follows:
Overwrite: Infinite - Do not allow Overwrite (this is needed because i want to store security logs forever %) )
Append: Infinite - Allow Append.

I haven't tried to run this two jobs (btw, one jobs backups logs from one server, second - from another server, these jobs were created by policy and two selection lists) at different time, because:
1) They were created by policy and there is no option to run different selection lists on different schedule
2) They run together perfectly: only one tape is used, both jobs write on the same tape

The problem is that this tape is not appendable next week

BTW, i have multiple jobs creating backups of user docs, data, Exchange databases etc, and this jobs append to their media set associated tapes very well, but this two particular jobs have problems with append...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you check the tape properties, check the dates when it can be overwritten and appended to.  Don't just go by the media set settings.

To run the jobs in a stagger manner, create the two jobs as jobs from scratch.  Don't use a policy.

Pavel_Bazlov
Level 3
These are properties of the tape that i've used previous week:

This tape couldn't be used in todays backup job by the reason stated above.

And yes i now how to create two separate jobs to run on staggered schedule, but why would i want that? I use only policies because a have very much jobs and it would be a pain in a... well, you know what i mean :)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Running the jobs in a staggered manner is a trouble-shooting step, you want to see whether this makes a difference to your problem.

Note that even though your job says append, when the first tape is full.  BE will need a second tape to overwrite.  It cannot append to a second tape.

Pavel_Bazlov
Level 3
Hi, i'm back %)

Further investigation gave me the following:
If the tape is not ejected from the drive, it is appendable multiple times. Even if the job runs out of space on first tape, demands another tape, gets it, uses it... Still this second tape is appendable multiple times UNLESS it is ejected from tape drive... And this is only on 2 jobs from backup and delete log files policy...

I'm out of ideas. I triple checked everything, i've recreated jobs from policy, policy itself, even selection lists...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Still this second tape is appendable multiple times UNLESS it is ejected from tape drive

When you remove and re-insert the tape, do you inventory before trying to write to it?

Pavel_Bazlov
Level 3
Sorry for the long answer. I've solved the problem.

After making it appending data with Append and terminate job if no appendable media available option in job options, i've made a couple of backups in this manner. Then i've changed this option to Append and overwrite and this now works fine! Some bug involved %)