cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup hidden share on NAS

bjc
Level 3

On our Netgear Network Storage Appliance (NAS), I created a hidden share by giving it a name ending with a $ sign.  When attempt to add this share to the file selection list, I get the following error:

"Access to the device not authorized with this edition of the product".

Not being a Windows server, a backup agent itself cannot be installed on the NAS.  Shares that are not hidden can be backed up, albeit with the 'no agent' warnings in the logs.

Can hidden shares on a NAS be backed up?

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Should be no problem backing up a hidden share

Just be sure the BackupExec service account is an Administrator on the NAS

Do you have a RAWS (Remote Agent) serial installed on the media server?

bjc
Level 3

The backup service is running with the administrator account of the system on which it is running.

The credentials configured within Backup Exec to use with the NASs' shares has full control over all files within that share.  The backup succeeds with that same NAS share when it is not given a 'hidden' name (ending with $).

Message Edited by bjc on 02-17-2009 11:29 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Logon to the media server as the service account

Can you map the hidden share?  if not it is definitely a rights problem on the NAS box

bjc
Level 3

I can map the hidden drive from the media server using the same credentials configured for Backup Exec's Selection List. 

Still get the "Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product." error.